Pythonn IDEs? Every one I've tried so far is either really poor (an IDE
that opens as a Python shell session??) or fails to install cleanly on
my OS X machine... :-(

The best thing I've found so far is PyDev on Sourceforge, an Eclipse
plugin that doesn't offer much more than syntax colourization and an
outline view.

I've been spoiled for choice working in Java for too long :-)

L.
[ot] Python IDE recommendations? [ In reply to ]
Laurie Harper wrote:
> Hi, a bit off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for
> Pythonn IDEs? Every one I've tried so far is either really poor (an IDE
> that opens as a Python shell session??) or fails to install cleanly on
> my OS X machine... :-(

As a citizen of Emacs i'm obligated by ancient unwritten laws to recommend it
to bypassers. :)

Emacs has several facilities to make Python programming sessions moments of
sheer joy:

* Python Mode - Syntax highlighting, interactive python shell, sexpr
evaluation and commenting.
http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode

* Emacs Code Browser - Fancy class browsing, navigation, history, etc
http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

* Dynamic Abbrevation - Tab-complete anything, intelligently
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DynamicAbbreviations

* gud.el - The grand unified debugger, included in Emacs. Supports pdb
(Python debugger).

* pdb-mode - Another pdb interface
http://stein.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/~charlie/scripts/pdb-mode.html

* psvn - Integrate Subversion into Emacs' VC version control interface.
http://xsteve.nit.at/prg/emacs/psvn.el

* Many nifty tricks to improve your day
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsNiftyTricks

--
Daniel Lundin | Edgewall Software
daniel@edgewall.com | Professional Linux & Open Source Consulting
[ot] Python IDE recommendations? [ In reply to ]
Daniel Lundin wrote:

> * pdb-mode - Another pdb interface
> http://stein.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/~charlie/scripts/pdb-mode.html

ok, that was definitely the wrong pdb-mode. Proteins aren't bugs.

There used to be a pdb.el that was pdb-mode back in 1997, but the support in
gud.el has since taken over its role completely.

[ot] Python IDE recommendations? [ In reply to ]
Hi Daniel!

> As a citizen of Emacs i'm obligated by ancient unwritten laws to
> recommend it to bypassers. :)
>
> Emacs has several facilities to make Python programming sessions
> moments of sheer joy:

Cool - I didn't know, that you also use emacs.

I am the author of psvn.el (Subversion interface for emacs) and
xtla.el (gnu arch interface for emacs)

I am just a lurker on the trac list.
I didn't use trac until now, but I think the concepts are fine.

What about an emacs interface for trac?
I think, such a thing would be really really cool.

I don't know much about the internals of trac. Is such an integration
possible from trac. What we would need here is the possiblity to run
all trac commands from a command shell.

--
Stefan.
Re: [ot] Python IDE recommendations? [ In reply to ]
Daniel Lundin wrote:
> Laurie Harper wrote:
>
>> Hi, a bit off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for
>> Pythonn IDEs? Every one I've tried so far is either really poor (an
>> IDE that opens as a Python shell session??) or fails to install
>> cleanly on my OS X machine... :-(
>

> As a citizen of Emacs i'm obligated by ancient unwritten laws to
> recommend it to bypassers. :)

LOL :) Yeah, I used to Emacs exclusively, but after years of
NetBeans/Intellij/Eclipse I've sort of gotten used to the GUI way of
doing things. That's a good link collection, though, so maybe I'll give
some of those extensions a try.

L.