Hello,

I have an issue to boot pXE with menu.c32.
My system has a AMI bios which has video mode 3, define with 80x25.
When i boot the menu.c32 I lost the graphique. it work fine with Phenix
BIOS, video mode 2, 80x25.

Which mode video in VT100 that menu.c32 of syslinux support ?
What could I do to make my system work with menu.c32 ?

Patrik
Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Hello Patrik,

does your use mainbord use a marvel yukon nic (PCI-Express)? If so, it may
be a known issue (look for marvel yukon).

Peter Leenders

"Patrick Le"
<patrick2le@gmail
.com> To
Sent by: syslinux@zytor.com
syslinux-bounces@ cc
zytor.com
Subject
[syslinux] PXE boot fail with
01.12.2007 02:30 Menu.c32

Please respond to
For discussion of
SYSLINUX and
tftp-hpa
<syslinux@zytor.c
om>

Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Has there been any progress toward fixing the Yukon problem, or is it
not going to be addressed? Not complaining, mind you, but maybe this
problem should be more prominent in the documentation. This card is
everywhere.

I have a slew of Acers with built-in Yukon NICs. Chased my tail for
about 4 days trying to get menu.c32 to work. I didn't realize that it
could be NIC-related until I booted an older PC with an Intel card in
it, and the menu popped right up. I should have searched the list
archives first!

Mark

Quoting Peter.Leenders@computacenter.com:

Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
>Has there been any progress toward fixing the Yukon problem, or is it
>not going to be addressed? Not complaining, mind you, but maybe this
>problem should be more prominent in the documentation. This card is
>everywhere.
>
>I have a slew of Acers with built-in Yukon NICs. Chased my tail for
>about 4 days trying to get menu.c32 to work. I didn't realize that it
>could be NIC-related until I booted an older PC with an Intel card in
>it, and the menu popped right up. I should have searched the list
>archives first!

You could submit a unified diff of the documentation with a section titled
"Known Issues/Incompatibilities" and list the NICs you know not to work..

Also the Wiki could be updated to include the information as well.

Regards,

Ryan McLean

Accelrys Limited (http://www.accelrys.com)
Registered office: 334 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0WN, UK
Registered in England: 2326316
Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/3, mark@ehle.homelinux.org <mark@ehle.homelinux.org>:
> Has there been any progress toward fixing the Yukon problem, or is it
> not going to be addressed? Not complaining, mind you, but maybe this
> problem should be more prominent in the documentation. This card is
> everywhere.
>
> I have a slew of Acers with built-in Yukon NICs. Chased my tail for
> about 4 days trying to get menu.c32 to work. I didn't realize that it
> could be NIC-related until I booted an older PC with an Intel card in
> it, and the menu popped right up. I should have searched the list
> archives first!

Hi:
i think yukon already fix that. i bought a gigabyte mainboard with yukon nic,
which can not boot menu.c32. i complain to gigabyte and they update the bios
with new yukon pxe rom(2007 august version). they also send me a
readme.txt file
from yukon. in that file pxelinux is in their support platfrom list.

Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Hi,
I think the problem is not gigabyte athernet.
I have two card ATCA which have the same ethernet chip.
One boot from phenix BIOS and the otherone boot from AMI bios
The one with phenix bios display ok menu ( menu.c32), but oher with ami no

Here is the output
==================================
phenix bios
==================================

Trying

PXELINUX 3.51 2007-06-10 Copyright (C) 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin

=====================06, Intel Corporation

Please wait...

===================== 8 UID: E1004191 0600 061A 8A01
A800FFFFFFFF

bootCD : boot-cd update T5006

memtest : test memory

@

‚€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ƒ

 

†€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€‡

 bootCD 

 memtest 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

„€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€…

Press [Tab] to edit options

ami BIOS

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 A0 A5 5B 16 F7 GUID: 01410000 0900 0901 0101
A800FFFFFFFF

DHCP../ 168.0.212 MASK: 255.255.255.0 DHCP IP: 192.168.0.1

GATEWAY IP: 192.168.0.1

PXELINUX 3.51 2007-06-10 Copyright (C) 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin

=====================

Please wait...

=====================

bootCD : boot-cd update T5006

memtest : test memory

@

I debug and found that thay use different video mode

Phenix video mode 0

and AMI video mode 3

Menu.c32 seen like not support video mode 3, 80x25, consol redirection
without video card

Patrick

Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
hi:
my gigabyte mainboard use phoenix-award bios. i aslo have some old board
and severs with yukon nic which is ok to boot menu.c32. i remember
some ibm server with yukon nic can not boot menu.c32, but ibm update
the bios and fix
that. i think yukon pxe rom is broken on some versions, but it is ok now,
just ask your vendor for a new bios or maybe you can strip the boot rom from
other bios and make your own.
the yukon nic is not a big issue to me. the real big issue i think is
sis900,which never has a workable pxe rom for menu.c32. there are so
many sis900 out there, which are all broken. i must setup my dhcp
server with mac address and use etherboot to workarround every sis900.
i wonder if there are better ways to deal with sis900?

Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Hello

as far as I know at least the new revisions of marvell yukon II
(PCI-Express) on Fujitsu Siemens PC work with menuc32, but the older ones
(especialy notebooks) will not.

Peter Leenders

"d tbsky"
<tbskyd@gmail.com
Sent by: "For discussion of SYSLINUX and
syslinux-bounces@ tftp-hpa" <syslinux@zytor.com>
zytor.com cc

Subject
04.12.2007 14:15 Re: [syslinux] PXE boot fail with
Menu.c32

Please respond to
For discussion of
SYSLINUX and
tftp-hpa
<syslinux@zytor.c

Re: PXE boot fail with Menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
mark@ehle.homelinux.org wrote:
> Has there been any progress toward fixing the Yukon problem, or is it
> not going to be addressed? Not complaining, mind you, but maybe this
> problem should be more prominent in the documentation. This card is
> everywhere.

The problem is that all the Yukon cards I have work fine. Without a
specimen of the failing card (I'm pretty sure whatever the bug was it
was fixed at some point) it's hard to even consider what could be a
workaround.

-hpa