Mailing List Archive

syslinux and PQMAGIC incompatibility
I have this problem:
I've partitioned my hard drive with PQMagic 7 in the following way:
hda1 - fat32
hda2 - ext2
hda3 - fat16
hda4 - extended
hda5 - Linux Swap
hda6 - fat32
hda7 - ext2
hda8 - fat32

I've put syslinux on hda3, but it fails to boot.

I've partitioned my second hard drive also with PQMAGIC 7 in two primary
fat16 partitions and syslinux was not working either.

BUT using Ranish Partition Manager and saving it's standard IPL into the MBR
of my secondary hard drive, syslinux worked just fine.

MY QUESTION IS:
WHAT CAN I DO FOR MY FIRST HARD DRIVE, BECAUSE PARTITION MANAGER FROM
RANISH FAILS TO READ CORRECTLY THE PARTITION TABLE MADE BY PQMAGIC 7 ON MY
FIRST HARD.

Thanks!

P.S. The same problem was with LILO but I fixed it using the "-P fix "
option.
syslinux and PQMAGIC incompatibility [ In reply to ]
Hi,

"Mircea Popescu" <nufarul.alb@go.ro> schrieb am 29.01.02:
> I have this problem:
> I've partitioned my hard drive with PQMagic 7 in the following way:
> hda1 - fat32
> hda2 - ext2
> hda3 - fat16
> hda4 - extended
> hda5 - Linux Swap
> hda6 - fat32
> hda7 - ext2
> hda8 - fat32
>
> I've put syslinux on hda3, but it fails to boot.

Did syslinux even start? What did it tell you? Is any of these
partitions activated? Which system wrote the MBR? PQMAGIC? Dos? ...?

> WHAT CAN I DO FOR MY FIRST HARD DRIVE, BECAUSE PARTITION MANAGER FROM
> RANISH FAILS TO READ CORRECTLY THE PARTITION TABLE MADE BY PQMAGIC 7 ON MY
> FIRST HARD.

No need to shout here. If it breaks maybe you have two pieces.

Regards,

Josef

Die Nummer, die sich jeder merkt: Ihre 01212 Wunschrufnummer von WEB.DE!
Jetzt sichern: http://freemail.web.de
syslinux and PQMAGIC incompatibility [ In reply to ]
Mircea Popescu wrote:

> I have this problem:
> I've partitioned my hard drive with PQMagic 7 in the following way:
> hda1 - fat32
> hda2 - ext2
> hda3 - fat16
> hda4 - extended
> hda5 - Linux Swap
> hda6 - fat32
> hda7 - ext2
> hda8 - fat32
>
> I've put syslinux on hda3, but it fails to boot.

Does hda3 extend beyond cylinder 1024?

> I've partitioned my second hard drive also with PQMAGIC 7 in two primary
> fat16 partitions and syslinux was not working either.
>
> BUT using Ranish Partition Manager and saving it's standard IPL into the MBR
> of my secondary hard drive, syslinux worked just fine.

Did you have anything to write an MBR in the first place?

> MY QUESTION IS:
> WHAT CAN I DO FOR MY FIRST HARD DRIVE, BECAUSE PARTITION MANAGER FROM
> RANISH FAILS TO READ CORRECTLY THE PARTITION TABLE MADE BY PQMAGIC 7 ON MY
> FIRST HARD.

Without knowing what the heck these two are doing to your system it's
really hard. If you have a DOS/Win9x partition or boot floppy, I would
suggest trying the command "FDISK /MBR" to rewrite the MBR.

-hpa
syslinux and PQMAGIC incompatibility [ In reply to ]