Mailing List Archive

USB Keyboard
Hello,

My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
Optiplex GX520 machine to use. When booting from CD-ROM I use
isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work. It does work once linux
boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
starts. I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
problems. I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support. I read the common
problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
find a FAQ page though).

I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
(version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
dell website to download and try). My question is "Does anybody know
how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
normal keyboard. When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.

I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
normally, or if this machine is just defective. The school's
technician just says run windows and will not help.

Thanks!

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 June 2007 7:52, BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use. When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work. It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts. I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems. I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support. I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).
>
> I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
> (version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
> dell website to download and try). My question is "Does anybody know
> how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
> This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
> normal keyboard. When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
> caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.
>
> I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
> as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
> would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
> normally, or if this machine is just defective. The school's
> technician just says run windows and will not help.
>
> Thanks!

Not real familiar with those computers but see if there is a BIOS setting for
legacy keyboard or legacy usb and make sure its enabled. It sounds like a
problem I have on a old Compaq Presario where I'm using a usb keyboard/mouse.
Unfortunately on his computer the BIOS doesn't have that option so in any
boot loader (GRUB, SYSLINUX, etc) I can't use the keyboard. But after Linux
boots everythings fine.

-Chris

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, June 10, 2007, 13:52:26, BuraphaLinux Server wrote:

> My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use. When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work. It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts. I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems. I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support. I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).

I don't know Dell BIOSes, but other manufacturers usually name this
option "Legacy USB support", "Support legacy USB devices" or "USB
storage support" (for some reason, this also enabled USB keyboard to
work on that machine). Search your BIOS for an option that looks
similar to this, and enable it.

--
< Jernej Simonèiè ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

Nobody loves a winner who wins all the time.
-- Trump's Quirk of Human Nature

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]

Hi,

this seems to be a bug in the latest versions of the Dell BIOSes. I
experienced the same problem with GX620 systems and bios A11.
Downgrading the BIOS to A10 helped.
(Dell support promised this would be fixed - but that more than half a
year ago ...)

Michael

BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use. When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work. It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts. I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems. I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support. I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).
>
> I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
> (version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
> dell website to download and try). My question is "Does anybody know
> how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
> This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
> normal keyboard. When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
> caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.
>
> I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
> as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
> would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
> normally, or if this machine is just defective. The school's
> technician just says run windows and will not help.
>
> Thanks!

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Central IT Services)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13 Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck Fax.: ++43 512 507 949 02335
Austria Mail: Michael.Redinger@uibk.ac.at
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780 3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
On 6/10/07, Jernej Simončič <jernej.listsonly@ena.si> wrote:

> I don't know Dell BIOSes, but other manufacturers usually name this
> option "Legacy USB support", "Support legacy USB devices" or "USB
> storage support" (for some reason, this also enabled USB keyboard to
> work on that machine). Search your BIOS for an option that looks
> similar to this, and enable it.

In the second paragraph I explained that I cannot find such an option
in the BIOS and there is no newer BIOS to try.

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
On 6/10/07, BuraphaLinux Server <buraphalinuxserver@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use. When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work. It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts. I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems. I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support. I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).
>
> I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
> (version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
> dell website to download and try). My question is "Does anybody know
> how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
> This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
> normal keyboard. When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
> caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.
>
> I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
> as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
> would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
> normally, or if this machine is just defective. The school's
> technician just says run windows and will not help.
>
> Thanks!

Sounds like you should probably try Redinger's suggestion of a BIOS
downgrade. For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
PS/2 keyboard protocol. If this is being too much of a problem, you
might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
legacy mode to begin with. You loose the ability to safely hotswap
devices (you can still do it, but it's dangerous to the system and
keyboard both,) but you would at least have a working keyboard in low
level environments.

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
Nazo wrote:

> Sounds like you should probably try Redinger's suggestion of a BIOS
> downgrade. For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
> PS/2 keyboard protocol. If this is being too much of a problem, you
> might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
> legacy mode to begin with. You loose the ability to safely hotswap
> devices (you can still do it, but it's dangerous to the system and
> keyboard both,) but you would at least have a working keyboard in low
> level environments.

It's not dangerous. Every keyboard or motherboard built since at least
the introduction of the Windoze keys have had proper overcurrent
protection and can be safely hotplugged.

-hpa

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
Nazo wrote:
> For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
> PS/2 keyboard protocol. If this is being too much of a problem, you
> might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
> legacy mode to begin with.
Didn't he say the PC has no PS/2 ports? So that won't work.

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
Tim Bates wrote:
> Nazo wrote:
>> For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
>> PS/2 keyboard protocol. If this is being too much of a problem, you
>> might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
>> legacy mode to begin with.
> Didn't he say the PC has no PS/2 ports? So that won't work.

Pretty impressive screwup to release a machine without PS/2 ports and
with broken USB keyboard support in the BIOS.

-hpa

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
On 6/10/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> Nazo wrote:
> >>
> > Sounds like you should probably try Redinger's suggestion of a BIOS
> > downgrade. For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
> > PS/2 keyboard protocol. If this is being too much of a problem, you
> > might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
> > legacy mode to begin with. You loose the ability to safely hotswap
> > devices (you can still do it, but it's dangerous to the system and
> > keyboard both,) but you would at least have a working keyboard in low
> > level environments.
> >

> It's not dangerous. Every keyboard or motherboard built since at least
> the introduction of the Windoze keys have had proper overcurrent
> protection and can be safely hotplugged.
>
> -hpa

I don't know, I've broken a keyboard that way just a few years ago.
(The plug on the board was terribly weak and would come loose far too
easily.) I realize both the controllers and keyboards have improved a
LOT since then, but at the same time companies love to skimp out on
quality and it's really not for the best to test one's luck IMO,
especially not when normally you can just use USB which is designed to
handle hotplugging.

On 6/10/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> Tim Bates wrote:
> > Nazo wrote:
> >> For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
> >> PS/2 keyboard protocol. If this is being too much of a problem, you
> >> might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
> >> legacy mode to begin with.
> > Didn't he say the PC has no PS/2 ports? So that won't work.
> >

> Pretty impressive screwup to release a machine without PS/2 ports and
> with broken USB keyboard support in the BIOS.
>
> -hpa

Oops, my apologies, you're right. He did say that. Wow what a stupid
screwup. A lot of keyboards out there today are still PS/2 only...
Then to break USB legacy support guarantees those systems will fail to
function correctly in a lot of situations... Frankly at this point
I'm inclined to say that it's time to start talking to Dell about
this.

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
Nazo wrote:
> I don't know, I've broken a keyboard that way just a few years ago.
> (The plug on the board was terribly weak and would come loose far too
> easily.)

If the plug is weak it doesn't matter if you hot- or coldplug it.

-hpa

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
Yes, the machine has broken BIOS and no PS/2 ports. My manager said
downgrading the BIOS was not acceptable, so I will just have to make
custom CDs to install these machines and let them timeout. Let's just
end this thread with the comment that friends don't let friends buy
Dell hardware. My boss was trying to be nice and get a new machine,
and once it gets into Linux it's OK, it's just that Dell is actively
trying to prevent installation of a new operating system, and probably
A11 was created just for that due to pressure from their primary o/s
supplier.

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
Hello,

now that sounds rather unlikely.

I figure it's a bug - those happen, you know? ;)

Ask your boss wether downgrading for installation and upgrading back
after it is acceptable.

Br,

Andreas

* BuraphaLinux Server <buraphalinuxserver@gmail.com> [20070611 10:30]:
> Yes, the machine has broken BIOS and no PS/2 ports. My manager said
> downgrading the BIOS was not acceptable, so I will just have to make
> custom CDs to install these machines and let them timeout. Let's just
> end this thread with the comment that friends don't let friends buy
> Dell hardware. My boss was trying to be nice and get a new machine,
> and once it gets into Linux it's OK, it's just that Dell is actively
> trying to prevent installation of a new operating system, and probably
> A11 was created just for that due to pressure from their primary o/s
> supplier.
>
> On 6/11/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> > Nazo wrote:
> > > I don't know, I've broken a keyboard that way just a few years ago.
> > > (The plug on the board was terribly weak and would come loose far too
> > > easily.)
> >
> > If the plug is weak it doesn't matter if you hot- or coldplug it.
> >
> > -hpa

"At the end of knowledge, wisdom begins, and at the end of wisdom, there is no
grief ... but hope."
-- Lloyd Alexander, 30.1.1924-17.5.2007

Re: USB Keyboard [ In reply to ]
On Monday, June 11, 2007, 2:43:16, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Pretty impressive screwup to release a machine without PS/2 ports and
> with broken USB keyboard support in the BIOS.

Almost as bad as the HP's ML150 G3 server line, which will happily
boot off any USB device you plug into it unless you completely disable
USB ports (overrides in BIOS are remembered only as long as that
device stays plugged in). Ironically, the legacy USB support can't be
disabled at all on these servers.

--
< Jernej Simonèiè ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

Any order that can be misunderstood has been misunderstood.
-- Army Axiom