definitely feel a bit silly, but there you have it.

Please test this out as 3.50 really is way overdue to get out the door.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
Thanks! I'll test it out tomorrow.

Joel

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
If you build as root, permissions of /dev/null change to 0777 from
0666 on my linux system.
I thought this was fixed?

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> If you build as root, permissions of /dev/null change to 0777 from
> 0666 on my linux system.
> I thought this was fixed?

Well, 0666 are actually the correct permissions for /dev/null, but yes,
that shouldn't happen. (Of course, building as root is always a really
bad idea.)

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
My english is bad; normal perms are 0666, after a build as root of
syslinux 3.50-pre15 they were 0777. Why does the build do any chmod
on /dev/null anyway?

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> My english is bad; normal perms are 0666, after a build as root of
> syslinux 3.50-pre15 they were 0777. Why does the build do any chmod
> on /dev/null anyway?

not only it changed the perm in /dev/null but also turns it into a normal
file, not a character device anymore.

Genaldo

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
It is a bug in gcc:

gcc -o /dev/null dummy.c

changed the perms in /dev/null

Genaldo

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> My english is bad; normal perms are 0666, after a build as root of
> syslinux 3.50-pre15 they were 0777. Why does the build do any chmod
> on /dev/null anyway?

Probably because /dev/null is being invoked as -o /dev/null somewhere
(and because you're building as root.)

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
>> My english is bad; normal perms are 0666, after a build as root of
>> syslinux 3.50-pre15 they were 0777. Why does the build do any chmod
>> on /dev/null anyway?
>
> Probably because /dev/null is being invoked as -o /dev/null somewhere
> (and because you're building as root.)

Ah, yes. It's the bloody gcc_ok macro which does it, and any attempt I
have made to fix it fails for unexplained reasons.

I don't have time to dig into this. Help would be appreciated; the
Makefiles are a mess.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 06:50:59AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> >> My english is bad; normal perms are 0666, after a build as root of
> >> syslinux 3.50-pre15 they were 0777. Why does the build do any chmod
> >> on /dev/null anyway?
> >
> > Probably because /dev/null is being invoked as -o /dev/null somewhere
> > (and because you're building as root.)
>
> Ah, yes. It's the bloody gcc_ok macro which does it, and any attempt I
> have made to fix it fails for unexplained reasons.
>
> I don't have time to dig into this. Help would be appreciated; the
> Makefiles are a mess.

perl -pi -e 's!-o /dev/null!-o /dev/stderr!g' `find . -name Makefile -o
-name MCONFIG` did it for me.

But the previous version only changed the permissions of /dev/null, not
the file type as Genaldo reported. So the safest version, but specific
to linux, would be to change to /proc/self/fd/2 instead.

--
lfr
0/0
Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
Luciano Rocha wrote:

> perl -pi -e 's!-o /dev/null!-o /dev/stderr!g' `find . -name Makefile -o
> -name MCONFIG` did it for me.
>
> But the previous version only changed the permissions of /dev/null, not
> the file type as Genaldo reported. So the safest version, but specific
> to linux, would be to change to /proc/self/fd/2 instead.

There are better ways to fix this, writing and deleting a temp file is
the right thing to do, but for some unfanthomable reason it just doesn't
work when I try to implement it.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:57:16AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Luciano Rocha wrote:
> >
> > perl -pi -e 's!-o /dev/null!-o /dev/stderr!g' `find . -name Makefile -o
> > -name MCONFIG` did it for me.
> >
> > But the previous version only changed the permissions of /dev/null, not
> > the file type as Genaldo reported. So the safest version, but specific
> > to linux, would be to change to /proc/self/fd/2 instead.
> >

> There are better ways to fix this, writing and deleting a temp file is
> the right thing to do, but for some unfanthomable reason it just doesn't
> work when I try to implement it.

The attached patch works for me.

--
lfr
0/0
Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
This works great! Thanks for the quick addition of a very useful
feature. It was a little tricky dealing with including entire
configuration files because I picked up all the unwanted settings too,
like MENU TITLE, or MENU DEFAULT. I don't have a great method of
dealing with the MENU DEFAULT when including other configs, but the MENU
TITLE I dealt with by creating a separate header file for each submenu
that contained the correct title, and then created a file with only
labels, which I included both in the header for that submenu, and in the
top level pxelinux.cfg. This is working quite well, and greatly
simplifies my configuration.

Thanks again,
Joel

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
Op 23-05-2007 om 18:21 schreef Joel Ebel:
> This works great! Thanks for the quick addition of a very useful
> feature. It was a little tricky dealing with including entire
> configuration files because I picked up all the unwanted settings too,
> like MENU TITLE, or MENU DEFAULT. I don't have a great method of
> dealing with the MENU DEFAULT when including other configs, but the MENU
> TITLE I dealt with by creating a separate header file for each submenu
> that contained the correct title, and then created a file with only
> labels, which I included both in the header for that submenu, and in the
> top level pxelinux.cfg. This is working quite well, and greatly
> simplifies my configuration.

Sound like something worth to be added
on http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: SYSLINUX 3.50-pre14 pushed out; adds INCLUDE support [ In reply to ]
Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:57:16AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Luciano Rocha wrote:
>>> perl -pi -e 's!-o /dev/null!-o /dev/stderr!g' `find . -name Makefile -o
>>> -name MCONFIG` did it for me.
>>>
>>> But the previous version only changed the permissions of /dev/null, not
>>> the file type as Genaldo reported. So the safest version, but specific
>>> to linux, would be to change to /proc/self/fd/2 instead.
>>>
>> There are better ways to fix this, writing and deleting a temp file is
>> the right thing to do, but for some unfanthomable reason it just doesn't
>> work when I try to implement it.
>
> The attached patch works for me.

Thanks. Applied.

-hpa