Mailing List Archive

pxe password protect option
Hi, I have tried several different line options, but I cannot seem to
get the pxe master password option to work?

I have basically tried all combinations of:

DEFAULT local

PROMPT 0

ALLOWOPTIONS 1

TIMEOUT 500

MENU TITLE sometitle

MENU MASTER PASSWD somepassword

But just can't seem to get the menu to prompt for a password.

version I have is pxe 3.31

Thanks for any help at all.

Jer

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Jerry Nelson wrote:
> Hi, I have tried several different line options, but I cannot seem to
> get the pxe master password option to work?
>
> I have basically tried all combinations of:
>
> DEFAULT local
> PROMPT 0
> ALLOWOPTIONS 1
> TIMEOUT 500
> MENU TITLE sometitle
> MENU MASTER PASSWD somepassword
>
> But just can't seem to get the menu to prompt for a password.
>
> version I have is pxe 3.31

Can you post your config file, and explain in detail what you expect?

-hpa

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
This is my config file for hpa. All I want to do is password protect
pxe,
>From all the threads and README's I read this "menu master passwd"
command should prompt me for a password before allowing me to boot
"test" label for example. I tried changes all options like prompt and
allowoptions to 0's and 1's already --thx
-----------------------------

DEFAULT local
MENU TITLE PXE BOOT MENU
MENU MASTER PASSWD test123

NOESCAPE 0
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
ALLOWOPTIONS 1

DISPLAY msgs/TopMenu.msg

F1 msgs/RHEL.msg
F2 msgs/SuSE.msg
F3 msgs/RHComm.msg
F4 msgs/WinSys.msg
F7 msgs/Maint.msg
F8 msgs/Xserver.msg
F9 msgs/Maint.msg

label local
localboot 0

label 0
localboot 0

label 300
kernel /i686/ws300/vmlinuz
append initrd=/i686/ws300/initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216
ks=nfs:149.199.37.74:/vol/vol02/syscfg/xsj/ks.300.32

label 302
kernel /i686/ws302/vmlinuz
append initrd=/i686/ws302/initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216
ks=nfs:149.199.37.74:/vol/vol02/syscfg/xsj/ks.302.32

... bunch more labels....

label test
MENU PASSWD test123
kernel i686/ws402/vmlinuz
append initrd=/i686/ws402/initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount
ramdisk_size=9216 ks=nfs:149.199.37.118:/vol/vol1/tses/ks/kstst.cfg
RHREL=402

----

pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
For some reason this didn't get posted?

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Jerry Nelson wrote:
> This is my config file for hpa. All I want to do is password protect
> pxe,
>>From all the threads and README's I read this "menu master passwd"
> command should prompt me for a password before allowing me to boot
> "test" label for example. I tried changes all options like prompt and
> allowoptions to 0's and 1's already --thx
> -----------------------------
>
> DEFAULT local
> MENU TITLE PXE BOOT MENU
> MENU MASTER PASSWD test123
>
> NOESCAPE 0
> PROMPT 0
> TIMEOUT 100
> ALLOWOPTIONS 1

WorksForMe[TM].

Keep in mind MENU MASTER PASSWD doesn't prevent you from booting labels
that don't have MENU PASSWD, and dosn't prevent the default item to be
selected on timeout.

-hpa

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
I tried this again with pxelinux.0 version 3.31 & 3.36 and I
Do have "MENU PASSWD" after the LABEL's I'm testing.

Every time, prompt or no prompt, timeout or no timeout, this boots
straight into the kernel and never prompts me for a password?

IS there anything else I can do or test? - the -vv options for DHCP
Doesn't really help me debug anything.

Thanks HPA
--Jerry

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Jerry Nelson wrote:
> I tried this again with pxelinux.0 version 3.31 & 3.36 and I
> Do have "MENU PASSWD" after the LABEL's I'm testing.
>
> Every time, prompt or no prompt, timeout or no timeout, this boots
> straight into the kernel and never prompts me for a password?
>
> IS there anything else I can do or test? - the -vv options for DHCP
> Doesn't really help me debug anything.

That is really bizarre.

Are you sure you have updated the menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 module to match
pxelinux.0? (I'm asking because sometimes we have people reporting bugs
which turn out to be version mismatches.)

The other thing to do is to add debugging messages to the source code
(com32/modules/menumain.c) and try to figure out why it doesn't display
the password input box.

I'm at a loss, because I can't reproduce your failure. Just to be
paranoid, does 3.50-pre10 also fail for you?

-hpa

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Ok, I did double check in my /tftpboot
That all these are of the same version: menu.c32 & vesamenu.c32 &
pxelinux.0

I haven't tried version 3.5 yet, but will try that next.

Jerry

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
H. Peter, I tried 3.50-pre10 as well, but same thing?
It's like this option is being totally ignored - I must have something
Wrong or missing maybe? It should be a pretty simple thing of these
3 files in /tftpboot and a config file /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg - not much
else involved correct?

Jerry

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Jerry Nelson wrote:
> H. Peter, I tried 3.50-pre10 as well, but same thing?
> It's like this option is being totally ignored - I must have something
> Wrong or missing maybe? It should be a pretty simple thing of these
> 3 files in /tftpboot and a config file /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg - not much
> else involved correct?

/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, but yes...

Does the password box appear if you press [Tab] or [Esc]?

-hpa

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Ok, I think I figured it out, the "DEFAULT local"
Line I had in my config only works if you specify "DEFAULT menu.c32"
I assumed that was the label default, there is an option to
Take care of the label default anyway: "menu default"
Not sure why it worked for you, but thanks very much HPA!

Jer

Re: pxe password protect option [ In reply to ]
Jerry Nelson wrote:
> Ok, I think I figured it out, the "DEFAULT local"
> Line I had in my config only works if you specify "DEFAULT menu.c32"
> I assumed that was the label default, there is an option to
> Take care of the label default anyway: "menu default"
> Not sure why it worked for you, but thanks very much HPA!

It worked for me because I didn't see that bit.

You never even get into the menu system without that.

-hpa