Mailing List Archive

PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is rather long winded ...

I have a Windows 2000 DHCP/FTP/TFTP server, serving up a
linux-based diags package using PXELinux. Everything is
working fine, just like I'd expect.

I also have some WinImage images of DOS floppy disks that
I'd also like to serve via PXE. So I made up some simple
menus using menu.c32 to serve both the floppy image and the
diags package.

The only problem was that none of the floppy images would
work; every time I tried to load an image, I'd get a
"Invalid or corrupt kernel image" message.

I found out that the linux diags package came with PXELinux
v3.11; I updated to v3.36, and the floppy disk images
started working fine.

Except now my problem is that the linux diags don't work -
using 3.36, I get the same "Invalid or corrupt kernel image"
message that I used to get on the floppy disks using 3.11

So it seems I've got 2 contradictory versions of PXELinux,
one of which works OK with my floppy images, and one which
works with my Linux diags package.

Since I've never typed 'linux' before last week I'm sure
there must be some setting I don't know about, but I have no
idea what it could be or where to look.

Can some kind soul offer some hints on how to resolve this?

TIA,
Paul

Re: PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36 [ In reply to ]
Paul Attryde wrote:

> The only problem was that none of the floppy images would
> work; every time I tried to load an image, I'd get a
> "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" message.
>
> I found out that the linux diags package came with PXELinux
> v3.11; I updated to v3.36, and the floppy disk images
> started working fine.
>
> Except now my problem is that the linux diags don't work -
> using 3.36, I get the same "Invalid or corrupt kernel image"
> message that I used to get on the floppy disks using 3.11

Could you please post your configuration file?

-hpa

Re: PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36 [ In reply to ]
Paul Attryde wrote:

>> The only problem was that none of the floppy images would
>> work; every time I tried to load an image, I'd get a
>> "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" message.
>>
>> I found out that the linux diags package came with PXELinux
>> v3.11; I updated to v3.36, and the floppy disk images
>> started working fine.
>>
>> Except now my problem is that the linux diags don't work -
>> using 3.36, I get the same "Invalid or corrupt kernel image"
>> message that I used to get on the floppy disks using 3.11
>>
> Could you please post your configuration file?

Sure. I re-did it this morning, just to make sure that the different menu
file's weren't having any effect, and this is what I ended up with:

----start pxelinux.cfg\default
default menu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 300

label 1
menu label Boot from hard drive (DEFAULT)
menu default
LOCALBOOT 0

label 10
menu label Boot MSDOS & auto-detect NIC
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=autonic2.imz

Label 50
menu label Unattended diags 3.0
KERNEL img2a
APPEND ramdisk_size=118784 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788
initrd=img3a.rd splash=nonverbose nomce noapic quiet acpi=off
REMOTEDIAG=true FTPSERVER=192.168.42.254 FTPUSER=anonymous
FTPPASS=anonymous FTPPATH=/diags3
----end pxelinux.cfg\default

Paul

_______

Re: PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36 [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Paul Attryde wrote:
>> The only problem was that none of the floppy images would
>> work; every time I tried to load an image, I'd get a
>> "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" message.
>>
>> I found out that the linux diags package came with PXELinux
>> v3.11; I updated to v3.36, and the floppy disk images
>> started working fine.
>>
>> Except now my problem is that the linux diags don't work -
>> using 3.36, I get the same "Invalid or corrupt kernel image"
>> message that I used to get on the floppy disks using 3.11

Just a quick follow-up, it seems everything between 3.20 and
2.50 pre9 has this problem. I would have tried versions
between 3.11 and 3.20, but I could find any.

HTH,
Paul

Re: PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36 [ In reply to ]
Paul Attryde wrote:

> Just a quick follow-up, it seems everything between 3.20 and
> 2.50 pre9 has this problem. I would have tried versions
> between 3.11 and 3.20, but I could find any.

Look in:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/Obsolete/

-hpa

Re: PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36 [ In reply to ]
paul@attryde.com wrote:

> Label 50
> menu label Unattended diags 3.0
> KERNEL img2a
> APPEND ramdisk_size=118784 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788
> initrd=img3a.rd splash=nonverbose nomce noapic quiet acpi=off
> REMOTEDIAG=true FTPSERVER=192.168.42.254 FTPUSER=anonymous
> FTPPASS=anonymous FTPPATH=/diags3

The "append" stuff is all one line, right?

-hpa

Re: PXELinux 3.11 vs 3.36 [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> paul@attryde.com wrote:
>> Label 50
>> menu label Unattended diags 3.0
>> KERNEL img2a
>> APPEND ramdisk_size=118784 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788
>> initrd=img3a.rd splash=nonverbose nomce noapic quiet acpi=off
>> REMOTEDIAG=true FTPSERVER=192.168.42.254 FTPUSER=anonymous
>> FTPPASS=anonymous FTPPATH=/diags3
>
> The "append" stuff is all one line, right?

Oh yes, it just got wrapped in the email.
When I get in on Monday I'll zip up the img2a and the
default file itself so you can take a look at both.

Paul