great success. However, with the recent spawn of virtual machines now
supporting PXE boot, has anyone been able to mount the disk in this
enviornment? Could someone direct me to any information on how to mount and
or partition drives? I have discovered the same issue with the HP DX2200
model of PC. For example if I run fdisk -l it reports nothing, any advise
would be a great help, as my linux troubleshooting is lacking in this area.
And we would like to explore disk imaging VM's. Thanks!

Derek

Re: Virtual machines booting PXE - PXELINUX [ In reply to ]
Derek Jewett wrote:
> Hello, new to the group. We have been using PXELINUX for some time now with
> great success. However, with the recent spawn of virtual machines now
> supporting PXE boot, has anyone been able to mount the disk in this
> enviornment? Could someone direct me to any information on how to mount and
> or partition drives? I have discovered the same issue with the HP DX2200
> model of PC. For example if I run fdisk -l it reports nothing, any advise
> would be a great help, as my linux troubleshooting is lacking in this area.
> And we would like to explore disk imaging VM's. Thanks!
>
> Derek

Speaking of QEMU, I personnaly use some simple disk images made with dd.
dd if=/dev/zero of=hda.img bs=1M count=10000

Once the system is installed on my disk image I mount it using this
simple script.
This try to find the offset needed to mount the right partition.
It works fine for me with for windows & linux.
Hope this helps,

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=C
if [ "$#" -ne "3" ]; then
echo "Usage: `basename $0` <image_filename> <partition # (1,2,...)>
<mount point>" >&2
exit 1
fi

if ! fdisk -v > /dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "Can't find the fdisk util. Are you root?" >&2
exit 1
fi

FILE=$1
PART=$2
DEST=$3

UNITS=`fdisk -lu $FILE 2>/dev/null | grep $FILE$PART | tr -s ' ' | cut
-f3 -d' '`
OFFSET=`expr 512 '*' $UNITS`
mount -o loop,offset=$OFFSET $FILE $DEST

Re: Virtual machines booting PXE - PXELINUX [ In reply to ]
"Derek Jewett" <djewett@shastacourts.com> writes:

> with the recent spawn of virtual machines now supporting PXE boot,
> has anyone been able to mount the disk in this enviornment?

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the connection between PXE booting
and disks. I suggest you try reformulating your question to elicit
more response.
--
Feri.

Re: Virtual machines booting PXE - PXELINUX [ In reply to ]
Well my specific problem is the kernel wont access my specific disk. The
disk is a maxtor DiamondMax 10 Model: 6V080E0 SATA drive. I need to get this
added to the kernel, not PXE specific now. Thanks for the reply