Mailing List Archive

PXELINUX No network device problem
Good morning.
I am trying to do a dhcp/pxelinux network install for redhat linux.
I have a new Dell computer with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit
controller.

I am getting the following errors:

Getting Kickstart file.
ASSERT: no network device in ChooseNetworkInterface
No network drivers for doing kickstart
unable to bring up network.

I've searched this lists archives for the word ASSERT and
ChooseNetworkInterface and did not get any relevant hits.

I was running an old version of PXELINUX.0 so I downloaded the latest
version but get the same result.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I would appreciate direct

Re: PXELINUX No network device problem [ In reply to ]
Roger A. Katz wrote:
> Good morning.
> I am trying to do a dhcp/pxelinux network install for redhat linux.
> I have a new Dell computer with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit
> controller.
>
> I am getting the following errors:
>
> Getting Kickstart file.
> ASSERT: no network device in ChooseNetworkInterface
> No network drivers for doing kickstart
> unable to bring up network.

This is way past PXELINUX' involvement, you're well into the operating
system at this point. Please contact Red Hat.

-hpa

Re: PXELINUX No network device problem [ In reply to ]
Roger A. Katz wrote:
> Good morning.
> I am trying to do a dhcp/pxelinux network install for redhat linux.
> I have a new Dell computer with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit
> controller.
>
> I am getting the following errors:
>
> Getting Kickstart file.
> ASSERT: no network device in ChooseNetworkInterface
> No network drivers for doing kickstart
> unable to bring up network.
>
> I've searched this lists archives for the word ASSERT and
> ChooseNetworkInterface and did not get any relevant hits.
>
> I was running an old version of PXELINUX.0 so I downloaded the latest
> version but get the same result.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I would appreciate direct

That looks like PXELINUX is working fine, but the RedHat kernel doesn't
autodetect your network card (and can't get the rest of the required
files). Are you trying to install a rather old Red Hat version?
By the way, KickStart is for fully automated installations (no user
interaction). Is this what you're attempting to do? If not, you probably
have a wrong option set on the "append" line.

Greetings,

Pascal Vandeputte

Re: PXELINUX No network device problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:11 -0400, Roger A. Katz wrote:
> Good morning.
> I am trying to do a dhcp/pxelinux network install for redhat linux.
> I have a new Dell computer with a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit
> controller.

That's a relatively new pci-e based controller if I'm not mistaken.

> I am getting the following errors:
>
> Getting Kickstart file.
> ASSERT: no network device in ChooseNetworkInterface
> No network drivers for doing kickstart
> unable to bring up network.
>
> I've searched this lists archives for the word ASSERT and
> ChooseNetworkInterface and did not get any relevant hits.

Unfortunately this isn't a syslinux/pxelinux error. The issue stems
from the version of redhat your attempting to install not having the
latest tg3 driver in the initrd, and thus can't find a network device to
boot from once it's loaded. (I'm assuming your trying to install
something like RHEL 4.2 or 4.3 - or earlier, 4.4 should have it from my
testing) You can recompile the tg3 driver (you can find it on
broadcom's website) and replace the one in the initrd which should help
- or install a newer version of Redhat.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley