Thanks,

Mario Di Giacomo
Anteon, Inc.
Syslinux & Error 440D [ In reply to ]
Hi,

"DiGiacomo, Mario" <mdigiaco@anteon.com> schrieb am 11.02.02:
> I'm trying to install the latest version of syslinux on a FAT12 partition on
> a 16M Flash disk.
>
> However, despire reformatting, repartioning, and running both lock c: and
> fdisk /mbr, I keep receiving an "ERROR 440D: Unable to lock drive for
> exclusive access" message. Do you have any suggestions on how to bypass
> this problem? Please respond ASAP.

seems like you are doing this from WinNT or something. Try something
else.

Give more info what you did, what you tried, which operating system
you use and the exact error messages you got. I'm quite bad at
looking at your screen from here.

Regards,

Josef

Geben Sie Ihren Lottotipp gerne auf den letzten Drücker ab?Beim WEB.DE
Lottoservice gibt's keine Warteschlangen. http://tippen2.web.de/?x=9
Syslinux & Error 440D [ In reply to ]
Hi,

"DiGiacomo, Mario" <mdigiaco@anteon.com> schrieb am 11.02.02:
> 1] Using a Windows 98 boot floppy, i booted to the A: prompt.
> 2] Using fdisk, I completely repartioned the flash disk, resulting in a 16
> meg primary DOS partition.
> 3] I then formatted the flash disk with FAT12.
> 4] I ran "lock c:"
> 5] As described in syslinux.doc, I ran "fdisk /mbr".
> 6] I then typed syslinux c: and received the exact message below:
> "ERROR 440D: Unable to lock drive for exclusive access"
> Running with -s made no difference.
>
> While a LDLINUX.SYS file is copied, the system does not boot. I've used
> syslinux successfully with floppy disks, so I'm at a loss to explain this
> difficulty.

Did you change to C:, or are you still on A:? You should be on 'A:'.
Did you try to leave out 'lock c:'? Or run fdisk, reboot and then install
syslinux?

Did you try to install syslinux from linux? Maybe this will have more
success, since some versions of WinXX are just braindead.

Regards,

Josef

Seien Sie dabei und sichern Sie sich 100% Leistung, 100% Prämie und
100% Zufriedenheit. Jetzt unter http://club.web.de/?mc=021105
Syslinux & Error 440D [ In reply to ]
Josef Siemes wrote:

>>1] Using a Windows 98 boot floppy, i booted to the A: prompt.
>>2] Using fdisk, I completely repartioned the flash disk, resulting in a 16
>>meg primary DOS partition.
>>3] I then formatted the flash disk with FAT12.
>>4] I ran "lock c:"
>>5] As described in syslinux.doc, I ran "fdisk /mbr".
>>6] I then typed syslinux c: and received the exact message below:
>>"ERROR 440D: Unable to lock drive for exclusive access"
>>Running with -s made no difference.
>>
>>While a LDLINUX.SYS file is copied, the system does not boot. I've used
>>syslinux successfully with floppy disks, so I'm at a loss to explain this
>>difficulty.
>>

> Did you change to C:, or are you still on A:? You should be on 'A:'.
> Did you try to leave out 'lock c:'? Or run fdisk, reboot and then install
> syslinux?
>
> Did you try to install syslinux from linux? Maybe this will have more
> success, since some versions of WinXX are just braindead.

Hi there,

Recent versions of SYSLINUX does the LOCK automatically. Try skipping the
"lock c:" step.

-hpa
Syslinux & Error 440D [ In reply to ]
Installing from linux solved the problem. Thanks for all your help.

Mario

PS: As long as I have your attention...will syslinux recognize any other
forms of compression (besides gzip) on the initrd.img file? I'm thinking
specifically of bzip2, here.

Syslinux & Error 440D [ In reply to ]
DiGiacomo, Mario wrote:

> Installing from linux solved the problem. Thanks for all your help.
>
> Mario
>
> PS: As long as I have your attention...will syslinux recognize any other
> forms of compression (besides gzip) on the initrd.img file? I'm thinking
> specifically of bzip2, here.

SYSLINUX doesn't care either way; it's the kernel that matters. Current
kernels only support gzip; feel free to submit a patch :)

-hpa