Mailing List Archive

Tres uncool :(
Hey, this is tres uncool. The spamassassin list apparently checked my
subscription address against the envelope! ;(

From Sat Feb 28 12:37:14 2004
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:37:14 GMT
From: MAILER-DAEMON@apache.org
To: SRS0=+vls3/+=F4=asarian-host.net=admin@asarian-host.net

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

<spamassassin-users@incubator.apache.org>:
Sorry, only subscribers may post. If you are a subscriber, please forward
this message to spamassassin-users-owner@incubator.apache.org to get your
new address included (#5.7.2)

This thing was not supposed to happen.

- Mark

System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: Tres uncool :( [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:46:27AM +0000, Mark wrote:
| Hey, this is tres uncool. The spamassassin list apparently checked my
| subscription address against the envelope! ;(

Yes. It's something that's alway annoyed me about ezMLM.

Every other MLM I know of looks at the header From:.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: Tres uncool :( [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:33:44AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:46:27AM +0000, Mark wrote:
> | Hey, this is tres uncool. The spamassassin list apparently checked my
> | subscription address against the envelope! ;(
>
> Yes. It's something that's alway annoyed me about ezMLM.
>
> Every other MLM I know of looks at the header From:.

ezmlm-idx lists can be told to look at the From: header instead.
Looking at the envelope sender is more economical and reliable; in
particular, it is contained in the environemnt variable $SENDER.
Presently, there is no reason to change the default behavior.

In case of Mark: he decided to change the envelope sender address, and
complains that the list manager has become suspicious. His
expectations are hardly reasonable. But he can still post to the
list, by subscribing his new envelope sender address to the `allow'
list.

Mate
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis

-------
Re: Tres uncool :( [ In reply to ]
mw-list-srs-discuss@csi.hu (mw-list-srs-discuss@csi.hu) wrote:

> But he can still post to the
> list, by subscribing his new envelope sender address to the `allow'
> list.

You've totally missed the point -- the new envelope sender address
is *dynamically* generated. It changes every day or so. I'm doing
the same thing Mark is, but in a slightly different way. I haven't
run into any problems yet, but I'm not on any mailing lists that
check the envelope sender.

--
Greg Wooledge | "Truth belongs to everybody."
greg@wooledge.org | - The Red Hot Chili Peppers

-------
Re: Tres uncool :( [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:23:10AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

| You've totally missed the point -- the new envelope sender address
| is *dynamically* generated. It changes every day or so. I'm doing
| the same thing Mark is, but in a slightly different way. I haven't
| run into any problems yet, but I'm not on any mailing lists that
| check the envelope sender.

The irony, of course, is that ezMLM pioneered the use of VERP.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: Tres uncool :( [ In reply to ]