Mailing List Archive

Re: [spf-discuss] Signed Envelope Sender: SRS on steroids
On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 03:30:03AM +0000, Mark wrote:

| The first results, over a few days, are already astounding. Especially the
| amount of dynamic IP connections has dropped significantly (I have some nice
| MRTG graphs to wit). I do not fully understand why this is occuring. My
| guess is the difference in response code; instead of "551 5.1.1" (Unknown
| user), I now spit out "550 5.7.5".

Contrary to popular belief, spammers pay a lot of attention to return
codes to see what accounts are active and what accounts are not. You
presumably turned away some of their <> probes.

This would seem to be a pretty strong argument in favour of SES, but the
spammers can respond pretty easily --- they can just probe with
something other than <>. So the argument is not perfect; it is merely a
bear run.

Two hunters were being chased by a bear. The first yelled, "It's
hopeless! The bear can run faster than both of us." The second
replied, "No it's not! The bear runs faster than me, but I run
faster than you!"

As SPF drives spammers away from SPF-protected domains, it's a bear run
for a little while, until all domains are SPF-protected, including the
spammers's. But that's when reputation systems come into play.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com