So how does a legitimate e-mail forwarding service get on this whitelist?

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:37 -0800, Astromech wrote:
> So how does a legitimate e-mail forwarding service get on this
> whitelist?

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. Although many people _publish_ SPF
records, and all the graphs of adoption will show this figure,
relatively few people are actually rejecting mail due to SPF failure.

If any sites _are_ rejecting the mail which you forward, simply advise
them to stop using SPF. Refer them to something like
http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html or something similar.

I've implemented SRS in my own servers, and I use it for other purposes.
Although I have a blacklist for SPF-afflicted domains, I haven't
actually had much cause to use it. Whenever I've found a site rejecting
the mail which I forward, they've disabled their SPF checking as soon as
I've actually explained how it 'works'.

--
dwmw2

-------
Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, David Woodhouse wrote:

> If any sites _are_ rejecting the mail which you forward, simply advise
> them to stop using SPF. Refer them to something like
> http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html or something similar.

You would be less of a troll if your article was on "why not SPF
when you, as a receiver, are using forwarders". It should be turned
off only for your non-SRS forwarders. It should not be turned off
in general unless you have no clue who your forwarders are, or are
a big mail provider whose customers have in general forgotten what forwarders
they have set up.

Actually, my software *uses* SPF even for non-SRS forwarders. If
the connect IP matches the forwarder domain SPF record, it bypasses
check SPF on the actual MFROM. That way, I don't have to track
specific IP addresses that the forwarder uses.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

-------
Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 19:26 -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> You would be less of a troll if your article was on "why not SPF
> when you, as a receiver, are using forwarders". It should be turned
> off only for your non-SRS forwarders.

Judging by the question, 'Astromech' definitely seemed like a non-SRS
forwarder to me, although he/she didn't give many details about the
situation.

The advice I gave is sound -- just don't bother, and if you find that
anybody _is_ using some random snake-oil scheme to reject the genuine
mail you forward, then just educate them not to.

--
dwmw2

-------
Re: Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]

> > So how does a legitimate e-mail forwarding service get on this
> > whitelist?
>
> See <http://www.trusted-forwarder.org>.

Thanks.

Also a tiny bit of background on why I asked. One of our e-mail forwarding
customers is using an ISP that rejects all SPF failed messages. Many months
ago we advised them (with various links to the SPF website and various SPF
articles) to ask their ISP to just flag instead of reject SPF failed
messages. They just came back to us again with the same problem. I'm
hoping their SPF implementation is set to use the whitelist and we can help
them out that way. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to implement
SRS or deal with the legal ramifications at this time.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]
In <1132704583.15117.153.camel@baythorne.infradead.org> David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> writes:

> To be honest, I wouldn't bother. Although many people _publish_ SPF
> records, and all the graphs of adoption will show this figure,
> relatively few people are actually rejecting mail due to SPF failure.

There *are* people who reject on SPF fails and many more that factor
the failure into their overall anti-spam system and your email is more
likely to be rejected or discarded because of it.

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: SRS whitelist [ In reply to ]