Mailing List Archive

greylisting and MAIL FROM signing
I have run into a sort of impedance mismatch between MAIL FROM signing and
greylisting.

1. I send a message with signed MAIL FROM (old SES)
2. recipient rejects with 450 - try again in 300 minutes
3. sendmail tries again, but the timecode has changed, and so
the recipients greylisting software thinks I'm a new sender.

One solution would be to bind the MAIL FROM to the message somehow
when deferring due to 450. But how to do that with sendmail? I
am signing MAIL FROM via a socket map - which is called on each attempt.
How would I recognize that it is the same message? How could I get
sendmail to keep the new MAIL FROM?

A real klugy solution would be to relay through another server - that's
one way of making the MAIL FROM persistent...

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

-------
Re: greylisting and MAIL FROM signing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 15:23 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> I have run into a sort of impedance mismatch between MAIL FROM signing and
> greylisting.
>
> 1. I send a message with signed MAIL FROM (old SES)
> 2. recipient rejects with 450 - try again in 300 minutes
> 3. sendmail tries again, but the timecode has changed, and so
> the recipients greylisting software thinks I'm a new sender.

Reduce the precision of your timecode.

--
dwmw2

-------
Re: greylisting and MAIL FROM signing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 15:23 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> > I have run into a sort of impedance mismatch between MAIL FROM signing and
> > greylisting.
> >
> > 1. I send a message with signed MAIL FROM (old SES)
> > 2. recipient rejects with 450 - try again in 300 minutes
> > 3. sendmail tries again, but the timecode has changed, and so
> > the recipients greylisting software thinks I'm a new sender.
>
> Reduce the precision of your timecode.

I thought of that after posting. It doesn't help. Old SES also increments
a sequence number for each outgoing message. There really needs to be
a way for sendmail cf to recognize when we are retrying a deferred
message. There probably is - sendmail cf isn't exactly the most
clear and explicit language in the world...

I might need to go back to SRS signing.

Re: greylisting and MAIL FROM signing [ In reply to ]
Stuart D. Gathman writes:
> I have run into a sort of impedance mismatch between MAIL FROM signing and
> greylisting.
>
> 1. I send a message with signed MAIL FROM (old SES)
> 2. recipient rejects with 450 - try again in 300 minutes
> 3. sendmail tries again, but the timecode has changed, and so
> the recipients greylisting software thinks I'm a new sender.
>
> One solution would be to bind the MAIL FROM to the message somehow
> when deferring due to 450. But how to do that with sendmail?

Rename EnvFromSMTP to something like OrigEnvFromSMTP and define a new
EnvFromSMTP that returns the value of a new macro, say MailFrom. Then
assign OrigEnvFromSMTP's output to MailFrom and declare MailFrom to be
a persistent macro. Something like this - *completely untested*:

C{persistentMacros} {MailFrom}
R$* $: $(macro {MailFrom} $@ $>OrigEnvFromSMTP $&f $) $1
SEnvFromSMTP
R$* $@ $&{MailFrom}

I'd be really surprised if I got the details right, but I think the
basic idea should work.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com

-------
Re: greylisting and MAIL FROM signing [ In reply to ]
On 8/16/05, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com> wrote:
> A real klugy solution would be to relay through another server - that's
> one way of making the MAIL FROM persistent...

IMO that sounds like a winner. Create a new local IP address, say 127.25.25.25,
tell sendmail that's your smarthost, and run a qmail instance that listens
only on 127.25.25.25 and relays out.

--
David L Nicol
The original republican: