and want to use their domain name as the from header (or from address),
are we going to run into problems if we're not hosting their domain?
Are there any ways around this using SPF? Thanks,

Colin

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Sending e-mail for clients [ In reply to ]
Colin Hirdman wrote:

> If we are sending e-mail campaigns for clients using their
> client lists and want to use their domain name as the from
> header (or from address), are we going to run into problems
> if we're not hosting their domain?

Let's say you use MAIL FROM:<your@smtp.example> and later in
the DATA a From: <your@client.example>

If your sending IP matches the sender policy of smtp.example,
then you get a PASS by a classic SPF check at the recipient.

With a Sender-Id test and a header Sender: <your@smtp.example>
you'd get the same result PASS.

If you don't add a Sender: and the recipient uses Sender-Id,
then he will test the sender policy of client.example, and if
this sender policy doesn't cover your IP you'd get a FAIL.

> Are there any ways around this using SPF?

With SPF classic there's no problem, the From: header isn't
checked, only the MAIL FROM (= Return-Path). With Sender-Id
there could be a problem, and you could get around it if you
add a Sender: <your@smtp.example> matching your MAIL FROM.

But Sender-Id (SPF2.0/PRA) is still discussed, there can't be
any implementations yet, and nobody has a SPF2.0/PRA sender
policy at the moment.
Bye, Frank

-------