then the receviing server will utilize the top level domain for its
information?

Thanks,
Emily

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Wildcards in spf TXT records [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:53:50PM -0400, Emily Renee wrote:
> We have a number of subdomains that utilize the same collection of
> outgoing mailers. For example:
> a.domain.example
> b.domain.example
> c.domain.example
>
> Are wildcards supported in the spf TXT records? What is the proper
> syntax? This is what I am looking for:
>
> *.domain.example IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:1.2.3.4/24"
>
> Or is it true that if any given subdomain is not explicitly defined,
> then the receviing server will utilize the top level domain for its
> information?

No, spf will not look at higher-level domains for spf records. You'll
have to define spf records for each and every (sub-) domain you want to
protect with spf.

*.domain.example will cover all your wildcard domains such with the same
depth, unless another record (cname, a, ...) is already defined for
that domain. But a lot depends on your dns software, consult their
manual for more info and/or read the corresponding rfc's.

I suggest you read back in the spf-discuss and spf-help archives a bit,
there has been quite an extensive discussion on this topic not long ago.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------