Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: MX [ In reply to ]
Hmm,

In what context? Is this an error message? Is this an 'option'??

Anyway, what I think it means is that there is no MX record in dns for a
given domain name, which means there is no explicit definition of a
receiving mail server for the domain.

Koen

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 01:54:37PM -0500, Stacy M. Wilhelm wrote:
> What does No MX for domain mean?
>
> Stacy
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
> subscription, please go to
> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: MX [ In reply to ]
Could you say that again only in English this time? (I have NO technical
understanding at all!)

To give you some background, I'm now trying to figure out which addresses
in my list bounced for legit reasons (and who unsubscribed--Heavens! Don't
want to send to those people again and get on any more bad lists!), and who
failed because of the service. It's turning out to be a nightmare! Come to
find out, the service bounced many as "reaching their limit of bounces"
(five) in a single campaign! And many of those said, "Please try again
later" i.e. the server was down at that time.

That MX message was all that it said. No MX for domain. So I was wondering
what that meant so I could figure out if that's an address to keep because
the service messed up or one that truly IS undeliverable by anyone--no
matter which service I use.

Stacy M. Wilhelm

-------
Re: MX [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/04 12:22 PM, Stacy M. Wilhelm wrote:

> Could you say that again only in English this time? (I have NO
> technical understanding at all!)
>
> To give you some background, I'm now trying to figure out which
> addresses in my list bounced for legit reasons (and who
> unsubscribed--Heavens! Don't want to send to those people again and
> get on any more bad lists!), and who failed because of the service.
> It's turning out to be a nightmare! Come to find out, the service
> bounced many as "reaching their limit of bounces" (five) in a single
> campaign! And many of those said, "Please try again later" i.e. the
> server was down at that time.
>
> That MX message was all that it said. No MX for domain. So I was
> wondering what that meant so I could figure out if that's an address
> to keep because the service messed up or one that truly IS
> undeliverable by anyone--no matter which service I use.

Here's the (admittedly) long story:

DNS stands for 'Domain Name System', and keeps track of the mapping
between human-readable domain names (like aol.com, yahoo.com, etc.) and
it's machine-oriented counterparts (1.2.3.4, or 66.53.195.131 for
example). There are several types of 'mappings' that DNS can keep track
of. 'A' maps (aka 'records') keep track of the number-to-name mapping,
as described above. 'MX' records are for 'Mail eXchanger' information.
So, the MX record for a domain describes what machine receives mail for
that domain. When there is no MX record for a domain, that means that
the DNS system has no way to tell where to deliver mail for that
particular domain. So, no service would be able to deliver mail to
anyone at that domain.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | The Reedtz Corporation | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102 | pthomsen@reedtz.com | C: 415 425 4025

-------
Re: MX [ In reply to ]
Stacy M. Wilhelm wrote:
> Could you say that again only in English this time? (I have NO technical
> understanding at all!)

means you haven't declared a machine to recieve mail for the domain.
MX == Mail eXchanger
so it has to use a matching a == Address record instead.

means us cant use
spf1 mx -all
you will need
spf1 a -all instead.

> To give you some background, I'm now trying to figure out which
> addresses in my list bounced for legit reasons (and who
> unsubscribed--Heavens! Don't want to send to those people again and get
> on any more bad lists!), and who failed because of the service. It's
> turning out to be a nightmare! Come to find out, the service bounced
> many as "reaching their limit of bounces" (five) in a single campaign!
> And many of those said, "Please try again later" i.e. the server was
> down at that time.

so your running a mailing list, why not use a mailing list manager ?

Re: MX [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:53:21PM -0700, Per Thomsen wrote:
> DNS stands for 'Domain Name System', and keeps track of the mapping
> between human-readable domain names (like aol.com, yahoo.com, etc.) and
> it's machine-oriented counterparts (1.2.3.4, or 66.53.195.131 for
> example). There are several types of 'mappings' that DNS can keep track
> of. 'A' maps (aka 'records') keep track of the number-to-name mapping,
> as described above. 'MX' records are for 'Mail eXchanger' information.
> So, the MX record for a domain describes what machine receives mail for
> that domain. When there is no MX record for a domain, that means that
> the DNS system has no way to tell where to deliver mail for that
> particular domain. So, no service would be able to deliver mail to
> anyone at that domain.

Actually, there is this bastard called the 'implicit mx rule' which says
that when there is no mx record, the a of the domain is supposed to be
the mx. But don't tell anyone, it'd be overall better if we just forget
about that.

Koen