Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: AOL [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:52:35AM -0500,
Stacy M. Wilhelm <samsaw@cox.net> wrote
a message of 22 lines which said:

> permanent failure to aol address is here - transaction terminated

Without more details, it's impossible to say. The message was really
so short?

> Any suggestions how to find an spf compliant one that WILL deliver
> to aol and yahoo, et. al that also allows for sending HTML messages?
> Or suggestions on how to find one.

You can never be sure that receivers will accept your message. Of
course, you should choose a knowledgeable provider and which is not
associated at all with spam-sending but there is no 100% warranty.

-------
Re: AOL [ In reply to ]
On 7/29/04 7:52 AM, Stacy M. Wilhelm wrote:

> I've been going through my hard bounce box (as Brent from ED) said to
> do, and I've found something VERY dismaying. I don't think any aol
> addresses have been delivering at all! Here is all it gives me to go on:
>
> permanent failure to aol address is here - transaction terminated (I
> took out the actual address)
>
> Some of these are subscribers I've had for a LONG time. Does this
> sound like an issue between EzineDirector and aol to you?

It does. I would try to get a hold of the support folks at
EzineDirector, and ask them what's going on.

> Any suggestions how to find an spf compliant one that WILL deliver to
> aol and yahoo, et. al that also allows for sending HTML messages? Or
> suggestions on how to find one.

Topica (www.topica.com) is publishing SPF records, and has been able to
deliver to both AOL and Yahoo as far as I can tell. Topica allows the
sending of HTML and/or text messages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | The Reedtz Corporation | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102 | pthomsen@reedtz.com | C: 415 425 4025

-------
RE: AOL [ In reply to ]
Stacey wrote,

"I've been going through my hard bounce box (as Brent from
ED) said to do, and I've found something VERY dismaying. I
don't think any aol addresses have been delivering at all!
Here is all it gives me to go on:

permanent failure to aol address is here - transaction
terminated (I took out the actual address)

Any suggestions how to find an spf compliant one that WILL
deliver to aol and yahoo, et. al that also allows for
sending HTML messages? Or suggestions on how to find one."

There are a number of service providers on the market. As
to AOL, it helps if the service provider is "white listed"
and in the case of all the majors is working with an
accreditation service.

I can think of two service providers which may do the
trick.

One is a new entrant to the SOHO market. The service has
been around for a while, but is now being introduced to the
micro business owner under the name bighip. The site can be
found at http://www.bighip.com.

Bighip is white listed with AOL, runs a verified opt-in
service, does not allow a user to run an unconfirmed opt-in
service, is accredited and allows for html, etc., etc.
providing a full range of templates.

Bighip has yet to publish an SPF record, although I was
speaking with one of the owners the other day about the
issue and it is on his to do list.

(I mention I am presently in the process of testing this
service at the request of the owners. The person you wish
to get in touch with is William Nicholson.)

The other is http://www.aweber.com.

This firm has been around for a while servicing the SOHO
market and has a good reputation for deliverability. They
are white listed with AOL and provide a verified opt-in
service.

The service is accredited and allows for html. AWeber has
published an SPF record. One nice feature about AWeber is
you can also set up an RSS feed using your sequential
mailer to provide content.

(I use this service for one of my lists and have no
complaints. Ask for Tom Kulzer.)

I am sure there are others. Per has referenced topica,
although I have no experience with this service. I also
notice that Marc was willing to recommend a service
provider offline and you may want to drop him a note.

I apologize if this response sounds like an advert. I am
simply trying to explain the services and provide
assistance.

Thanks,

Stacy M. Wilhelm
writing as Staci Stallings

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate
your subscription,
please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

-------
RE: AOL [ In reply to ]
Stacy --

AOL boasts that they delete over a billion pieces of Email a day. No one
knows what criteria they use to determine that an incoming piece of mail is
Spam. It may be SPF, or it may be that they delete messages when they detect
a large volume of messages from a single sender to addressees within the aol
domain. Unfortunately, they may be throwing out the baby with the bathwater,
penalizing legitimate senders of lists, ezines, and other similar mail in
order to combat Spam. If you switch to another mailer, even one that is SPF
compliant, you may find that AOL still rejects your eZine.

Probably the only recourse, if this happens, is to go directly to AOL. I
have not had much luck getting them to explain, acknowledge, or modify their
anti-spam practices.

Serre Murphy

I've been going through my hard bounce box (as Brent from ED) said to do,
and I've found something VERY dismaying. I don't think any aol addresses
have been delivering at all! Here is all it gives me to go on:

permanent failure to aol address is here - transaction terminated (I took
out the actual address)

Some of these are subscribers I've had for a LONG time. Does this sound
like an issue between EzineDirector and aol to you? Any suggestions how to
find an spf compliant one that WILL deliver to aol and yahoo, et. al that
also allows for sending HTML messages? Or suggestions on how to find one.

Thanks,

Stacy M. Wilhelm
writing as Staci Stallings

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
subscription,

RE: AOL [ In reply to ]
As one that has used this before, http://postmaster.aol.com
is a good resource for figuring out why mail might be bouncing
to AOL.

As with all SMTP failure, there will be a bounce message /
reference header to use. If AOL rejects your mail due
to a filter of some kind, the bounce message will contain
a URL which explains why.

Applying to the AOL whitelist is one option offered here.

Kind regards,

Dave D

+ Dave Dennis
+ Seattle, WA