distribution list.
I am confused as what to enter in 'The SPF Setup Wizard' under "Do any other
servers send mail from reamined.on.ca?"

Harish Solanki

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]

-------
Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think your question is answered here:

http://spf.pobox.com/faq.html#whitelist

Also note that where you receive your email is not important for what is
in your spf record.

As long as you 'whitelist' your internal mail server in your gateway server, and
as long as you're gateway server is permitted to send mail from the domains you
use when sending mail out from the lan server, you are ok.

If the gateway is all you use to send out mail "v=spf1 ip4:ip.of.gateway.here -all" will
suffice, or maybe with a ?all or ~all at the end for testing purposes.

As far as the wizard is concerned, there are no other servers sending out mail
for you, since you relay everything to the gateway which is the only thing receivers
on the internet will ever see.

Koen

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:55:50AM -0400, Harish Solanki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two servers sending emails out, one is inside our LAN and other one
> is on the DMZ, all our incoming and outgoing emails go through our DMZ email
> (Gateway) server. I have all the necessary DNS entry which includes MX
> record and A record for our Gateway server, I do not have any MX record for
> our LAN server (It does has a public IP NATed to LAN IP). It does not
> receive any emails from outside directly. All incoming emails comes to
> Gateway and then are forwarded to our Mail server on LAN.
> We do use our email server on the LAN to send emails outside when we use our
> distribution list.
> I am confused as what to enter in 'The SPF Setup Wizard' under "Do any other
> servers send mail from reamined.on.ca?"
>
> Harish Solanki
>

> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription,
> please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
RE: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
When we use our distribution list all the email sent out goes through the
LAN server and is not relayed through Gateway and the client will see the
NAT public IP of the LAN server. I have to mention this IP also in SPF
record.

Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
Ok,

In that case you will have to list the nat ip indeed..

Koen

RE: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
Do I also have to add the MX and A record in my DNS server for my Internal
Mail server?

Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
> Also note that where you receive your email is not important for what is
> in your spf record.
>
> As long as you 'whitelist' your internal mail server in your gateway
server, and
> as long as you're gateway server is permitted to send mail from the
domains you
> use when sending mail out from the lan server, you are ok.
>
> If the gateway is all you use to send out mail "v=spf1
ip4:ip.of.gateway.here -all" will
> suffice, or maybe with a ?all or ~all at the end for testing purposes.
>
> As far as the wizard is concerned, there are no other servers sending out
mail
> for you, since you relay everything to the gateway which is the only thing
receivers
> on the internet will ever see.

Note that if you connect to a remote location via VPN and expect email to be
transmitted between distinct SMTP servers for the two locations over the
VPN, either the remote site will need to whitelist you as well or you will
need to publish internal DNS for them that includes distinct TXT records for
your internal mail servers.

I frankly found it easier to publish the internal mail servers IP addresses
in my external DNS and be consistent about my TXT records.

-------
Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean here:

do you mean 'do i have to put mx and a in my spf record' or do you mean 'do i have to
have MX and A records for my internal mail server?'.

Assuming you meant that last one: it is not neccesarry. All that is neccesary is that
for the domains you send mail out from using your internal mail server you add a
mechanism in the spf record that allows that server to send mail (which in your case means
you will have to add the nat ip to the spf records). Having MX records is only neccesary
if you use the 'mx' mechanism in the SPF record. Having an A record is
only neccesarry if you use the 'a' mechanism in the spf record. If you just explicitly
put the ip in the spf record with the 'ip4' mechanism, nothing else is needed.

Koen

Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:09:53AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> I frankly found it easier to publish the internal mail servers IP addresses
> in my external DNS and be consistent about my TXT records.

Of course, it can be done and is easier. But it is not common to publish internal
ip's on publicly available dns servers. You basically give away potentially useful
information for evil hackers.

Koen

Re: Re: DNS Entry for spf [ In reply to ]