Mailing List Archive

local mail delivery
after setting up sendmail to use spf-milter
I did not get root email for daily tasks.
When I tried to send local mail from the command line to root, I get a message:
User address required

how can I resume local root delivery.

__/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/

Allan Simmons CEO
ADS-Enterprises
http://www.ads-ent.com
https://secure.ads-ent.com
http://www.ads-promotions.com
http://www.check-software.com

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: local mail delivery [ In reply to ]
try this:

telnet yoursmtpserver 25
HELO something
MAIL FROM: root@something
RCPT TO: you@someotherthing
DATA

test!

.

change the *@* to something sensible.. and report what happens.. what
command did you use to send mail from the command line?

Koen

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 06:54:53AM -0400, Allan Simmons wrote:
> after setting up sendmail to use spf-milter
> I did not get root email for daily tasks.
> When I tried to send local mail from the command line to root, I get a
> message:
> User address required
>
> how can I resume local root delivery.
>

> __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/
>

> Allan Simmons CEO
> ADS-Enterprises
> http://www.ads-ent.com
> https://secure.ads-ent.com
> http://www.ads-promotions.com
> http://www.check-software.com

> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
> subscription, please go to
> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: local mail delivery [ In reply to ]
It is local mail to root only that seems to fail

Sat 10:24:43# mail root
Subject: test
.
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
root@inet:/etc/mail

Sat 10:24:49# root... User address required

Sat 10:24:51# mail root@localhost
test
.
EOT
root@inet:/etc/mail

Sat 10:26:34# root@localhost... User address required

Sat 10:27:11# mail root@ads-ent.com
test
.
EOT
root@inet:/etc/mail

Sat 10:27:23# root@ads-ent.com... User address required

At 01:22 PM 7/24/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>try this:
>
>telnet yoursmtpserver 25
>HELO something
>MAIL FROM: root@something
>RCPT TO: you@someotherthing
>DATA
>
>test!
>
>.
>
>change the *@* to something sensible.. and report what happens.. what
>command did you use to send mail from the command line?
>
>Koen
>
>On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 06:54:53AM -0400, Allan Simmons wrote:
> > after setting up sendmail to use spf-milter
> > I did not get root email for daily tasks.
> > When I tried to send local mail from the command line to root, I get a
> > message:
> > User address required
> >
> > how can I resume local root delivery.
> >

> > __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/
> >

> > Allan Simmons CEO
> > ADS-Enterprises
> > http://www.ads-ent.com
> > https://secure.ads-ent.com
> > http://www.ads-promotions.com
> > http://www.check-software.com

> > -------
> > Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> > Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> > To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
> > subscription, please go to
> > http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
>
>--
>K.F.J. Martens, Sonologic, http://www.sonologic.nl/
>Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.
>Public PGP key: http://www.metro.cx/pubkey-gmc.asc
>Wondering about the funny attachment your mail program
>can't read? Visit http://www.openpgp.org/
>
>-------
>Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
>Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
>To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
>subscription,
>please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Allan Simmons
Plumbing Parts Plus Inc.
12172 Nebel Street
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone: (301) 881-1001
Fax: (301) 881-6988

-------
Re: local mail delivery [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I don't think this is anything spf milter related per se. Have you tried
without the milter again (i presume you have backed up your sendmail.cf
before adding the milter conf).

Sounds like something fishy in your sendmail setup, maybe with Dj$w
macro stuff or aliases file or something... What does the sendmail log
show?

Koen