2) When pasting the above using the DynDNS.org interface, it asks for
a TTL value; what should that be?

Thanks in advance,
Tissa

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Newbie question re. TTL and quotes [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:36:33AM -0400, Tissa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) The spf.pobox.com wizard says to paste this IN TXT:
>
> "v=spf1 a mx ptr -all"
>
> Does that include the quotation marks?

Probably not, as you are pasting in a web interface. It all depends, when I paste
into my zonefiles directly (which I never do btw) i have to paste the quotation
marks, if I paste into my web interface to my zone files, i don't have to include
the quotation marks. I'm guessing that you could just do it without the quotation
marks and that the web script will complain if you should have included them. Then
again, this all depends on dyndns's web interface code.

> 2) When pasting the above using the DynDNS.org interface, it asks for
> a TTL value; what should that be?

It's the time the entry should maximally reside in anyone's dns cache. Take something
large, like 86400 (which is the number of seconds in a day).

On a sidenote: v=spf1 a mx ptr -all is probably more than you need. Usually 'v=spf1 a -all'
or 'v=spf1 mx -all' will do for simple setups, and this may make the check less expensive (in
terms of dns lookups).

As a last note, be sure to publish 'v=spf1 -all' for any domain you have defined but do not use
to send email from, for example 'www.yourdomain.com'.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------