Mailing List Archive

SPF records and/or milter problem?
Hi there, I'm publishing SPF records which I think are accurate, but I'm
getting some unexpected results.

Here's my TXT records:

smugmug.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:63.81.134.0/24
ip4:63.81.33.192/27 ~all"

mail.smugmug.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a ~all"

orcus.smugmug.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a ~all"

However, when mail arrives from hostname.smugmug.com (such as
'hera.smugmug.com') that is other than orcus, the 'Received-SPF:' header
reads:

none (orcus.smugmug.com: domain of apache@hera.smugmug.com does not
designate permitted sender hosts)

Note that hera resolves to an IP listed in the range for the domain, and
has valid DNS records.

We have many machines sending email. Some of them are behind a NAT, but
the NAT IP is still within the range specified in the SPF record.

If I go and explicitly set a TXT SPF record specifically for
hera.smugmug.com, it gets validated properly. But surely that's not the
way it's supposed to work, right? I can't have dozens of entries, and
I'm sure AOL/Hotmail/etc can't have hundreds of entries.

Thanks for any assistance!

Don

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/