Mailing List Archive

New Admin need help with SPF setup
I'm new to managing this exchange server hosted internally, godaddy for dns, and setting up the SPF record is something I've never done before. I have the basic understanding of it but when I use the MX Lookup pages to check the spf record I created it has one section that fails. Can someone take a look at it and tell me what I'm missing here?

Domains = lakeairmetals.com, taberbushnell.com

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx

Found 1 valid SPF version 1 records for taberbushnell.com

Prefix

Type

Value

PrefixDesc

Description

+

mx

Pass

Match if IP is one of the MX hosts for given domain name

+

ip4

75.146.184.57

Pass

Match if IP is in the given range

-

all

Fail

Always matches. It goes at the end of your record.

Thank You
Mike Wood
IT Systems Administrator
Lake Air Companies
mwood@lakeairmetals.com<blocked::mailto:mwood@lakeairmetals.com>

Re: New Admin need help with SPF setup [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 17:17, Mike Wood<MWood@lakeairmetals.com> wrote:
> I'm new to managing this exchange server hosted internally, godaddy for dns, and setting up the SPF record is something I've never done before. I have the basic understanding of it but when I use the MX Lookup pages to check the spf record I created it has one section that fails. Can someone take a look at it and tell me what I'm missing here?
>
> Domains = lakeairmetals.com, taberbushnell.com
>
> http://www.mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx
>
> Found 1 valid SPF version 1 records for taberbushnell.com

Interestingly mangled email.

What's your problem (something you neglected to mention)? Your record
is valid (http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html):

Found v=spf1 record for taberbushnell.com
v=spf1 mx ip4:75.146.184.57 -all

evaluating...
SPF record passed validation test with pySPF (Python SPF library)!

Your record authorises the MX hosts for taberbushnell.com
(mail.taberbushnell.com, 75.146.184.57) and the host with IP address
75.146.184.57 (your mail server) to send on behalf of
taberbushnell.com. You could reduce it (and the record for
lakeairmetals.com) to:

v=spf1 ip4:75.146.184.57 -all

Without changing the meaning, but reducing the DNS lookups required.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: New Admin need help with SPF setup [ In reply to ]
> Can someone take a look at it and tell me what I'm missing here?

Not much.

> -
>
> all
>

> Fail
>
> Always matches. It goes at the end of your record.

All this is saying is that this part of the record fails anything that
gets here - i.e. everything that hasn't already passed.

This is exactly what you want.

Vic.