Mailing List Archive

Need help on SPF Records.
Hi SPF Support Forum,

I need some advice on SPF config on our DNS record. Our current SPF record
on DNS

I am getting error message when sending email from @exxonmobil.com to
mailing domain @franki.be and received rejection error message pointing to
SPF record error

http://www.openspf.org/Why?id=david.lw.wong%40exxonmobil.com&ip=212.166.45.84&receiver=axsguard.franki-construct.be

From URL above, it mentioned that one of the mailing sending address
212-166-45-84.win.be is not in the SPF record list.

So, it have recommend that we should insert the address into the SPF list.

But the problem is, we only have 4 outbound servers, which all already
list in the SPF record

dalmxp61.exxonmobil.com
dalmxp62.exxonmobil.com
hoemxp61.exxonmobil.com
hoemxp62.exxonmobil.com

We not sure where is the 212-166-45-84.win.be comes from. Checking on our
relay log, it seems that mail.franki.be mailing server have ip address -
212.166.45.84 which similar to what it suggesting for us to put. But it
just doesn't make any sense because the SPF list is for declaring our
official sending mailing server which it should have sufficient for our
SPF record for other to authenticate.

Please help.

Regards,

David Wong Liang Wei

Re: Need help on SPF Records. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:56, <david.lw.wong@exxonmobil.com> wrote:
> Hi SPF Support Forum,
>
> I need some advice on SPF config on our DNS record. Our current SPF record
> on DNS
>

> I am getting error message when sending email from @exxonmobil.com to
> mailing domain @franki.be and received rejection error message pointing to
> SPF record error
>
> http://www.openspf.org/Why?id=david.lw.wong%40exxonmobil.com&ip=212.166.45.84&receiver=axsguard.franki-construct.be
>
> From URL above, it mentioned that one of the mailing sending address
> 212-166-45-84.win.be is not in the SPF record list.
>
> So, it have recommend that we should insert the address into the SPF list.
>
> But the problem is, we only have 4 outbound servers, which all already
> list in the SPF record
>
> dalmxp61.exxonmobil.com
> dalmxp62.exxonmobil.com
> hoemxp61.exxonmobil.com
> hoemxp62.exxonmobil.com
>
> We not sure where is the 212-166-45-84.win.be comes from. Checking on our
> relay log, it seems that mail.franki.be mailing server have ip address -
> 212.166.45.84 which similar to what it suggesting for us to put. But it
> just doesn't make any sense because the SPF list is for declaring our
> official sending mailing server which it should have sufficient for our
> SPF record for other to authenticate.

It could be the recipient is forwarding it - can you post the entire
rejection message, including headers?

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

RE: Need help on SPF Records. [ In reply to ]
As Rob alluded, if the recipient is forwarding your message to
another address, then there is a decent chance that the final recipient
is checking your SPF record against the forwarding server. They either
need to not do that, or the server doing the forwarding needs to handle
the forwarding differently. I think this is the right link, but the
openspf.org site seems to be down at the moment:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Forwarding

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Wisdom of Bart: I will not prescribe medication

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~