Mailing List Archive

SPF issue
Hi everyone,

We implemented SPF 3-4 years ago and we just started having issues.
Is there a new implementation for the past few weeks?

Example, our servers are in a coloc room in Montreal but our local office
ISP is a third party cable company. So we are interested to put them in our
include:relais.videotron.ca listing in case we would throw mail directly
from the office.

Our spf record is:
intrasoft.net. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:mail.intrasoft.net
include:relais.videotron.ca include:vivaldi.intrasoft.net -all"

Some spf test tools are testing ok, and some not. Some times we do get
"Maximum DNS-interactive terms limit (10) exceeded." so we have no clue.

We tried some other settings and we also have seen things about trivial
include. We read that the include host needs a spf record to be valid? If
the ISP SMTP server doesn't have an SPF, how can we add them to our
customer's spf.

Our usual spf record used for hosted domains are:
Domain-name.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:mail.domain-name.com
include:bellnet.ca include:relais.videotron.ca include:bellnexxia.net ~all".
The "~" should advertise that we are in transition but spf fails anyway.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve

RE: SPF issue [ In reply to ]
>We implemented SPF 3-4 years ago and we just started having issues.
>Is there a new implementation for the past few weeks?
>
>Example, our servers are in a coloc room in Montreal but our local office
>ISP is a third party cable company. So we are interested to put them in our
>include:relais.videotron.ca listing in case we would throw mail directly
>from the office.
>
>Our spf record is:
>intrasoft.net. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:mail.intrasoft.net
>include:relais.videotron.ca include:vivaldi.intrasoft.net -all"

You have redundancy in the above record. A, mx, and a:mail.intrasoft.com all resolve to IP
209.41.133.194. Further if you translate everything into IP form you save lookups totally.

v=spf1 ip4:209.41.133.194 ip4:24.201.245.36 ip4:24.37.54.101 -all

>Some spf test tools are testing ok, and some not. Some times we do get
>"Maximum DNS-interactive terms limit (10) exceeded." so we have no clue.
>
>We tried some other settings and we also have seen things about trivial
>include. We read that the include host needs a spf record to be valid? If
>the ISP SMTP server doesn't have an SPF, how can we add them to our
>customer's spf.

If the ISP does not publish an SPF record then you should not use the include statement.
Instead you would have to determine the IP addresses of all the mail servers the ISP uses
and place them in the record ip4 x.x.x.x. .

>Our usual spf record used for hosted domains are:
>Domain-name.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:mail.domain-name.com
>include:bellnet.ca include:relais.videotron.ca include:bellnexxia.net ~all".
>The "~" should advertise that we are in transition but spf fails anyway.

By obfuscating your customer's domain it would be impossible for us to help you with their
record.