Mailing List Archive

Which domain do I put the SPF record in
Hi

We send out mail from our server called say mail.ourserver.com . The mail has the from address say news@customersdomain.com Ive created an SPF record in the zone file of ouserver.com which mentions the ip address of mail.ourserver.com - do I need an SPF record in the zone file for customersdomain.com ?

Thanks in advance for help on this.

Rob Smith

Re: Which domain do I put the SPF record in [ In reply to ]
Rob Smith wrote:
> Hi
>
> We send out mail from our server called say mail.ourserver.com . The mail has the from address say news@customersdomain.com Ive created an SPF record in the zone file of ouserver.com which mentions the ip address of mail.ourserver.com - do I need an SPF record in the zone file for customersdomain.com ?
>
> Thanks in advance for help on this.
>

> Rob Smith

Hello Rob,

If your customer who owns "customerdomain.com" wants their domain
protected from forgery by SPF, then yes, their domain name would also
need an SPF record. They, however, could use the include mechanism in
their zone, like this:

"v=spf1 include:ourserver.com ~all"

...and after a reasonable period of time, changing the tilde (~) to a
dash (-) is in order.

You should also be aware that you might not know all the different ways
your customer sends their email. They might also send using other
systems other than your server. If that is the case, the additions to
the SPF record would be required.

Michael Breton