Mailing List Archive

SPF creation Help
I have got Zimbra Collaboration Suite 5.0 Setup,

i am receiving a lot of Spams, and Backscatter Spams as well.

Actually, i need please dedicated Practical steps to follow to create a successful SPF record creation to prevent
the Spams and specially the Backscatter Spams on Zimbra Server.

And does this SPF record has to be applied on both our own Zimbra mail server and the Mail Server's Public IP at ISP to prevent Spams and Bacscatter Spams.

Your replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Torinto
RE: SPF creation Help [ In reply to ]
Torintino T wrote on 6/17/2009 2:07:45 PM:

> Actually, i need please dedicated Practical steps to follow to create
a successful
> SPF record creation to prevent
> the Spams and specially the Backscatter Spams on Zimbra Server.
>

> And does this SPF record has to be applied on both our own Zimbra mail
server
> and the Mail Server's Public IP at ISP to prevent Spams and Bacscatter
Spams.

The SPF record for your domain is set up on and published by
your DNS server. Those receiving mail from your domain will check it to
see if arriving messages have been forged. If you are receiving those
type of messages, then you would need to set up a way to check for SPF
validity on incoming mail on your mail server.

To start, make a list for us of the mail servers that are
allowed to send out mail using your domain name.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill
milk and the first thing you think is 'edit, undo.'

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: SPF creation Help [ In reply to ]
Steve,

thanks for your helpful reply.

I am using the ISP's public DNS, and i don't have a local DNS server,
i have only one mail server with a single public IP,
and i need the mails to be sent through this IP.

Could you please give me a practical SPF record,
for my mail server's public IP, say it's 162.x.x.x.
and my domain is "mydomain.com"

Looking forward to hear from you.

Many thanks for your help

Torinto

RE: SPF creation Help [ In reply to ]
> i have only one mail server with a single public IP,
> and i need the mails to be sent through this IP.
>
> Could you please give me a practical SPF record,
> for my mail server's public IP, say it's 162.x.x.x.

If only one mail server is used, then it is simple:

v=spf1 ip4:162.x.x.x -all

(use ~all while you are testing instead of -all)

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- I disavow all knowledge of my actions.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: SPF creation Help [ In reply to ]
Thanks Steve,

- where is my domain name mention in this record, i have one domain "mydomain.com", that caries my site, and on the same server, there is the mail server setup"mail.mydomain.com",

and my mail is myaccount@mydomain.com.

- and this is the record that i have to send to my ISP to apply it on his global DNS on my public IP?

Many Thanks Steve,

RE: SPF creation Help [ In reply to ]
Torintino T wrote on 6/18/2009 2:22:16 AM:

> - where is my domain name mention in this record,

Your domain name does not necessarily appear in the SPF record.
You are publishing the record in your domain's DNS (as a TXT record) so
it is associated with your domain there.

> - and this is the record that i have to send to my ISP to apply it on
his global DNS
> on my public IP?

If that one IP is the only mail server used, yes.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Speed things up, make pre-aged wine from old raisins.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~