Mailing List Archive

~all, ?all and -all
Hi all!

Many sites use "~all" and "?all" and never change for "-all", and
spammers are forging emails using those sites.
As I was tired of receiving so much junk, I changed the file
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Mail/SPF/Record.pm to consider all as "fail" ...

(...)
use constant results_by_qualifier => {
'' => 'pass',
'+' => 'pass',
'-' => 'fail',
'~' => 'fail', ----------------- MY CHANGE
'?' => 'fail' ----------------- MY CHANGE
# '~' => 'softfail', ----- ORIGINAL
# '?' => 'neutral' ----- ORIGINAL
};
(...)

[]s

*/Curt Geesdorf/*
<https://www1.lpi.org/pt_br/verify.html?lpi_id=LPI000090133&ver_code=uftmav5p47>www.iesanet.com.br

RE: ~all, ?all and -all [ In reply to ]
I'm running into a similar problem here. At my gateway, numerous spam
messages are being tagged "SoftFail" by my SPF filter because the sender's
SPF record contains "~all".

I think the sending domain is basically tossing the responsibility back at
us to determine whether or not any e-mail received with a return address in
their domain is actually legitimate.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with these "SoftFail"
messages, as there are a few legitimate ones trapped amongst the spam, so
blocking them entirely is out of the question for the moment.

For now, I'm trapping them into a special folder for manual review and
release, and I've configured my antispam gateway to send me a note whenever
it intercepts any. For those that I release, the sender's address is
automatically added to an SPF "whitelist", so future messages from that
address are automatically let through.

Regards,
Brian

Re: ~all, ?all and -all [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 04:57, [SPICEISLE.COM] Brian Steele
<brian@spiceisle.com> wrote:
> I'm running into a similar problem here.  At my gateway, numerous spam
> messages are being tagged "SoftFail" by my SPF filter because the sender's
> SPF record contains "~all".
>
> I think the sending domain is basically tossing the responsibility back at
> us to determine whether or not any e-mail received with a return address in
> their domain is actually legitimate.

Personally, I pass those through and have SpamAssassin weight against
them. That way if they're at all spammy they'll get taken care of by
SA.

Part of the problem is that once they've created the record, many
people never revisit it. Worse, people like Google tell people to use
~all.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

RE: ~all, ?all and -all [ In reply to ]
FWIW, I do the "SPF SoftFail" filter thing AFTER my antispam gateway has run
all of its other rules to trap spam, and it STILL picks up spam passing
through.

Regards,
Brian