Mailing List Archive

Re:
On 16-Feb-09, at 9:17 AM, David Manning | TravelShop Web Sites |
Manning Travel Ltd wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. I've read up on the site and the
> following decribes our setup.
>
> manningtravel.co.uk
> IP address 195.69.92.162
> ISP dsl-user.netserve.co.uk

Looks correct to me, this is what I found,

manningtravel.co.uk. IN A 195.69.92.162

Unless you are relaying mail through your ISP the ISP info is
irrelevant.

> 2 names for the MX servier were found:
> Mail
> dsl-user.netserve.co.uk

I only found one,

manningtravel.co.uk. IN MX 10 mail.manningtravel.co.uk.

> Out setup is very simple. We use a SBS 2003 server running exchange.
> It
> sends and receives all our emails.
>
> I understand how to add the TKT entry into our DNS Settings but what
> entry is best?

I think you meant TXT record.

> "v=spf1 a mx ~all"
>
> "v=spf1 ip4:195.69.92.162 -all"
>
> Will the above entries work for our needs?

If your information is correct either one will work but "v=spf1
ip4:195.69.92.162 -all" is the better of the two since there is no
need to resolve/lookup the IP address of the 'a' or 'mx' record.

Just as a precaution, you should initially set up your record ending
with '~all' while you test it and then change it to '-all' when you
are sure you have it set up correctly.

> Also I have list of other domains, some are being used and others
> aren't. With the one's not being used should I add "v=spf1 -all"?

Typically any hosts or domains that have an 'A' record should have SPF
policy. If they don't send mail then "v=spf1 -all" would be the
correct policy to use.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive
Toronto, ON M3M 1W6

416-247-7740

Re: [ In reply to ]
> Out setup is very simple. We use a SBS 2003 server running exchange. It
> sends and receives all our emails.

OK, that's good. nice simple arrangement.

> I understand how to add the TKT entry into our DNS Settings

*TXT*, not *TKT*. TKT is not a valid record type...

> but what
> entry is best?
>
> "v=spf1 a mx ~all"

Sine "a" and "mx" end up resolving to the same place, at least one of
those terms is redundant :-)

> "v=spf1 ip4:195.69.92.162 -all"

This is better - as long as you know the IP address isn't going to change.
By specifying the dotted-quad notation, you save a DNS lookup. That
matters to some people.

> Will the above entries work for our needs?

Either will work to generate SOFTFAIL for unauthorised mails. The latter
is better.

Once you're happy with the way it's working, you should change "~all" to
"-all". That will cause unauthorised mail to be given a real FAIL rather
than a SOFTFAIL.

> Also I have list of other domains, some are being used and others
> aren't. With the one's not being used should I add "v=spf1 -all"?

Yep.

> Presume the TKT entry needs adding into each Domains DNS settings?

Yes - but as I said, it's a TXT record...

Vic.

Re: [ In reply to ]
> By specifying the dotted-quad notation, you save a DNS lookup. That
> matters to some people.

Actually he will save a lot of DNS lookups. Worst case scenario: 1 lookup
per message sent by either himself or by spoofers.