Mailing List Archive

SPF newbie - help needed!
I am trying to set up an SPF record for my domain fojd.org.uk. My hosting
company, Heart Internet, has suggested:

v=spf1 ip4:82.110.105.67 ip4:79.170.40.142 a mx -all

which looks reasonable to me except that I don't know what those IPs
represent - their mail server IP is 79.170.40.14

I have been told the "reverse DNS" for my domain is broken, but I have no
idea how to fix that.

Can anyone offer some advice to a non-techie please?

Peace,

Christine

<mailto:cmoon@fojd.org.uk> cmoon@fojd.org.uk

<http://www.fojd.org.uk/> www.fojd.org.uk

RE: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
Sorry to reply to my own message, but I've now found out those IPs relate to
Webmail (which I hardly ever use) and Forwarders.

Christine

Re: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone. I just noticed I'd fallen off the list :-)

> I am trying to set up an SPF record for my domain fojd.org.uk. My hosting
> company, Heart Internet, has suggested:
>
> v=spf1 ip4:82.110.105.67 ip4:79.170.40.142 a mx -all

Something to notice here - you have "mx" in your record. But you don't
have an MX record to look up...

> I have been told the "reverse DNS" for my domain is broken, but I have no
> idea how to fix that.

You need to talk to Heart Internet - they own the netblock.

> Can anyone offer some advice to a non-techie please?

Your rDNS isn't massively broken - it does exist, it just doesn't tell you
much that's very useful. Your IP address resolves to web52.extendcp.co.uk
- which looks like a mass-generated resolution, and you tend to get lumped
into the "residential" category. Many mail ervers won't accept mail from
residential machines.

Heart can fix this - but they probably won't. If you really need it fixed,
you might have to do something a little trickier - how important is it to
you?

Vic.

RE: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your response.

Heart told me the mail server is covered by the "mx" part. I checked the
DNS management page for my domain and it lists the following under MX
records:

Subdomain Mail server Priority TTS

mail.fojd.org.uk. 10 0

* mail.fojd.org.uk. 10 0

I know the servers are shared, so I guess mail.fojd.org.uk is some sort of
alias for the server's "real name". Other users may well be sending spam -
Heart have told me they suspend anyone caught, but by then it's too late!

It is possible to set up new MX records, but there is this warning:

" Warning: changing your MX record will stop Heart Internet processing your
email. The server you point to must be configured to process your mail. This
feature is for advanced users only."

I don't think I want to do that!

web52.extendcp.co.uk makes sense as the control panel for the Heart account
is at www.extendcp.com and we are told that the web server that hosts our
domains (my husband has several there as well as mine) is web52.

Basically I'm just looking for a way to send email from my domain addresses
without it bouncing back because Heart's IP 79.170.40.14 has been blocked as
a spam source. Mails don't always bounce, and some addresses never do -
those on Hotmail, Comcast and AT&T are worst, with Yahoo returning a lot of
deferrals and people reporting they simply don't get my mail. Heart
suggested the spf route.

Re: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 12:04 +0100, Christine Moon wrote:
> I am trying to set up an SPF record for my domain fojd.org.uk. My hosting
> company, Heart Internet, has suggested:
>
> v=spf1 ip4:82.110.105.67 ip4:79.170.40.142 a mx -all

(142 is likely a "typo"...)

v=spf1 ip4:79.170.40.14 a mx ~all (for fojd.org.uk) looks ok for
testing. (Change to "-all" when you are satisfied it works.)

You should probably protect mail.fojd.org.uk with:
v=spf1 -all
(to protect you from people spoofing with e.g. someone@mail.fojd.org.uk)

82.110.105.67 is IP address for webmail.outitgoes.com and from what you
say you seldom use it. So don't include it for your domain. Even if you
used Heart Internet's webmail system, it probably would not be sending
the email out with your cmoon@fojd.org.uk as the return address (or
would it?)

The mail server your message came from is mail14.extendcp.co.uk
(79.170.40.14), its "Helo" is mail14.extendcp.co.uk, which is the same
and should satisfy fussy mail handlers like mine, hotmail and others.

> which looks reasonable to me except that I don't know what those IPs
> represent - their mail server IP is 79.170.40.14
>

> I have been told the "reverse DNS" for my domain is broken, but I have no
> idea how to fix that.

Your reverse DNS is not broken, it provides a valid name (ok it's not
your's but that doesn't break it...) as long as there is a name to
resolve to is enough. Many of us have similar situations.

> Can anyone offer some advice to a non-techie please?
>

> Peace,
>
> Christine

(One thing you might do which would be good practise is to change the
"Helo" of your own server from LHHEBH778MZIL6 to something that
resolves, like fojd.org.uk, but probably not needed to make SPF work.)

Hope this helps, I am usually reluctant to post, as I am not completely
familiar with SPF, but it works for me... and I'd like to see more using
it.

Shalom
KAJAYR

Re: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 09:20, KAJAYR <jay-spf@kajayr.com> wrote:
<---SNIP--->
> (One thing you might do which would be good practise is to change the
> "Helo" of your own server from LHHEBH778MZIL6 to something that
> resolves, like fojd.org.uk, but probably not needed to make SPF work.)

Many servers will refuse email from a mail server that doesn't provide
a standards compliant HELO/EHLO string (it should resemble a hostname,
and ideally should be a hostname).

--
Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

RE: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
Thanks, but LHHEBH778MZIL6 isn't a server, it's my desktop PC! I'm wary of changing its name as we have a home network and I'm not sure the computers will "see2 each other if we start changing names around. That's the name the PC came with.

RE: SPF newbie - help needed! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 20:00 +0100, Christine Moon wrote:
> Thanks, but LHHEBH778MZIL6 isn't a server, it's my desktop PC! I'm wary of changing its name as we have a home network and I'm not sure the computers will "see2 each other if we start changing names around. That's the name the PC came with.
>
> Christine

You're right of course, that is the name provided by your email client
(whatever it is) and you probably cannot change the "helo" greeting it
provides when contacting your server... no problems, leave it as it is.

KAJAYR