Mailing List Archive

Newbie needs help
Hi

Having been receiving over 2000 unwanted emails today I finally have to do
something about it and my domain supplier told me about spf.

I have two mailboxes linked to two separate domains (one POP and one IMAP)
and I connect through my cable account. I also use the mailbox supplied by
the cable supplier. I seem to be experiencing the problem with only one
domain at present, although ideally I would like to protect them all.

I have looked at the wizard, but am a little confused when it comes to
transferring any settings to the DNS server.

I'm currently running Windows XP SP2 and (if it make any difference )
Outlook 2007.

My computer knowledge is OK, but not entirely clear when it comes to DNS
settings etc...

I hope that someone can assist please.

Kind Regards

Stephen

Re: Newbie needs help [ In reply to ]
Stephen,

My suggestion would be to start reading here:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ

There are basically two ways to utilize SPF.

a) Add SPF records to your domain zone in DNS. This helps other
people reject spoofed email which claims to be 'from' you.

b) Implement SPF on your inbound mail server. This helps you reject
spoofed email which fraudulently claims to be from someone that it isn't.

The former won't reduce your incoming spam, but will potentially help
other's to reject spam claiming to come from your domain.

The latter won't entirely eliminate your inbound spam, but as more
and more people participate in SPF, more and more of your spam will
be rejected before getting to your inbox.

Good luck..

Feel free to ask specific questions.

-john