Mailing List Archive

Microsoft released license for Sender-ID (based on SPF)
What does think SPF community about that?

MS Releases License For Sender-ID
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/08/24/2033217.shtml?tid=109

FSF & OSI Speak out Against Sender-ID License
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/08/26/1818203.shtml?tid=109&tid=17

Open-Source Community Skeptical About Microsoft's Sender ID License

one cut from story:
-----------------------------------
Eric Allman, chief technology officer for Sendmail Inc., a leading mail
server company, said, "In our discussions with Microsoft we were able to
get them to make some improvements, at least to the point of making it
clear that end users didn't have to execute a license with Microsoft."

Allman added, "The fact that redistributors still do is a problem, and
will probably prevent us from bundling Sender ID with Sendmail."
Re: Microsoft released license for Sender-ID (based on SPF) [ In reply to ]
On 8/27/2004 09:46, Tanel Kokk wrote:

> What does think SPF community about that?

You're a bit late to the party I'm afraid. You should read the archives
of spf-discuss and ietf-mxcomp over the last few days.

~Jason

--

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Re: Microsoft released license for Sender-ID (based on SPF) [ In reply to ]
Jason Gurtz wrote:

> On 8/27/2004 09:46, Tanel Kokk wrote:
>

>>What does think SPF community about that?
>

> You're a bit late to the party I'm afraid. You should read the archives
> of spf-discuss and ietf-mxcomp over the last few days.

Auch! My fault. I have subscribed only to spf-help list and I didn't
remember that there are other spf-lists, too.

Thanks.

Tanel

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Microsoft released license for Sender-ID (based on SPF) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 04:46:51PM +0300, Tanel Kokk wrote:
> one cut from story:
> -----------------------------------
> Eric Allman, chief technology officer for Sendmail Inc., a leading mail
> server company, said, "In our discussions with Microsoft we were able to
> get them to make some improvements, at least to the point of making it
> clear that end users didn't have to execute a license with Microsoft."
>
> Allman added, "The fact that redistributors still do is a problem, and
> will probably prevent us from bundling Sender ID with Sendmail."
> -----------------------------------

Reading this on th e mxcomp list made me think: "i really should dump sendmail once and
for all really soon now"

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: Microsoft released license for Sender-ID (based on SPF) [ In reply to ]
Surely not? Dump Sender-ID and you can stay with your favourite MTA and
not have patent licence problems hanging over your head ;-)

I don't believe Eric Allman is alone in his opinion - other MTA's will have
similar probems with this ridiculous patent licence situation.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp@idimo.com
ICQ 313355492

Re: Microsoft released license for Sender-ID (based on SPF) [ In reply to ]
I'm sorry,

What was quoted below was not the part of his original message which
made me thinking about dumping sendmail. It was the part where he stated
that sendmail will support SenderID regardless of the licensing issues,
albeit as a seperate module (rough summary).

By this, they acknowledge in my eyes what ms is doing here, and allow
them to bring a serious blow to open source in general. It made me think
about whether I should continue using and developing for sendmail.

Koen