Mailing List Archive

SPF Wild Carding

I am not sure if this has been asked or not, but with the limited about
of information available, I thought this would be the best start.

I have over 100 clients that user the domain
clientname.co.mansellgroup.net. Can I wildcard this into my DNS so that
I will not have to have a separate entry for each of my clients?

Right now, I wildcard their A record and MX record, so, that's why I am
asking about wildcarding the SPF entry.

Thoughts ?

------

Joshua Pyle

Senior Systems Engineer

jpyle@mansellgroup.com

www.mansellgroup.com <http://www.mansellgroup.com/>

Re: SPF Wild Carding [ In reply to ]
> I am not sure if this has been asked or not, but with the limited about
> of information available, I thought this would be the best start.
>

> I have over 100 clients that user the domain
> clientname.co.mansellgroup.net. Can I wildcard this into my DNS so that
> I will not have to have a separate entry for each of my clients?
>

> Right now, I wildcard their A record and MX record, so, that's why I am
> asking about wildcarding the SPF entry.
>

> Thoughts ?

Yes, you can wildcard it.

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: SPF Wild Carding [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:46:12AM -0400, Joshua Pyle wrote:
> SPF Wild Carding
>

> I am not sure if this has been asked or not, but with the limited about
> of information available, I thought this would be the best start.
>

> I have over 100 clients that user the domain
> clientname.co.mansellgroup.net. Can I wildcard this into my DNS so that
> I will not have to have a separate entry for each of my clients?
>

> Right now, I wildcard their A record and MX record, so, that's why I am
> asking about wildcarding the SPF entry.
>

> Thoughts ?

Well, make sure to understand the basic rules of dns. If you have an
explicit A/MX/.. record for some domain (so not a wildcard record) you
need to explicitly add the spf TXT record for that domain.

I understand that all the *.co.mansellgroup.net domains for your clients
are defined by a wildcard record, if this is the case you can indeed put
the TXT record as a wildcard record.

Note that there are some subleties with the level of the domain.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
RE: SPF Wild Carding [ In reply to ]
I was able to put in

*.co as a TXT entry which then included mansellgroup.net 's SPF entry. Worked great thanks.