Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
RE: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
> My problem is when our employees go home to send mail they
> are often forced to use the ISP's outgoing smtp server as
> most ISP's block outgoing port 25 traffic.
>
> Do I need to add every ISP outgoing mail server to my record
> or is there something I am missing?

Why not just open another SMTP port for them to connect to?

-------
Re: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:21:37PM +0100,
Mark Smith <spf@ms.cx> wrote
a message of 15 lines which said:

> > Do I need to add every ISP outgoing mail server to my record
> > or is there something I am missing?
> >

> Why not just open another SMTP port for them to connect to?

587 is the ideal port for that because it is the Mail Submission port
(RFC 2476). But an ISP which blocks outgoing port 25 may block other
ports also and may be all by default.

-------
Re: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
iiMailAdmin said:
> Hello,
>
> I am fairly new to SPF and I have a quick question. I have set up SPF for
> our company's domain and one mail server.
> iivip.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx -all"
>
> My problem is when our employees go home to send mail they are often
> forced to use the ISP's outgoing smtp server as most ISP's block outgoing
> port 25 traffic.
>
> Do I need to add every ISP outgoing mail server to my record or is there
> something I am missing?

Set up IMAP and a webmail interface.

-------
RE: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
Is Outlook Web Access an option? Do you have an Exchange server
that users can log into and send/receive email using their work mailbox?

Re: Re: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:21:37PM +0100,
> Mark Smith <spf@ms.cx> wrote
> a message of 15 lines which said:
>
> > > Do I need to add every ISP outgoing mail server to my record
> > > or is there something I am missing?
> > >

> > Why not just open another SMTP port for them to connect to?
>
> 587 is the ideal port for that because it is the Mail Submission port
> (RFC 2476). But an ISP which blocks outgoing port 25 may block other
> ports also and may be all by default.

They're much, much less likely to block 587. Port 25 is the big bearer of
unauthorized email services, spam, and email worm traffic, so port 25 is
usually a no-brainer to block except to the designated MX records.

-------
Re: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
On Aug 23, 2004, at 2:54 PM, iiMailAdmin wrote:

> My problem is when our employees go home to send mail they are often
> forced to use the ISP's outgoing smtp server as most ISP's block
> outgoing port 25 traffic.

I have found that so far no-one blocks 587. Set up a "submission"
listener on that port and have it always require authentication. I've
also done the same for port 26 in case 567 does get blocked.

You don't say what MTA you are using, I'm sure that people could give
specific
help for your MTA.

-------
RE: ISP's blocking outgoing traffic [ In reply to ]
For any clients who need to pop/smtp I move it to off ports so the isp
doesn't block it. The problem with using the ISP is that not only new
SPF records, but also they limit you to 10 megs usually and don't do AV
or content filtering. I got into a huge fight with Earthlink on this
when a bunch of us had their DSL product and they forced me to setup
smtp/26. When I mentioned that we have a corporate need (such as content
filter, av scan etc) they said it wasn't their issue.. Kind of dumb.

On Aug 23, 2004, at 2:54 PM, iiMailAdmin wrote:

> My problem is when our employees go home to send mail they are often
> forced to use the ISP's outgoing smtp server as most ISP's block
> outgoing port 25 traffic.

I have found that so far no-one blocks 587. Set up a "submission"
listener on that port and have it always require authentication. I've
also done the same for port 26 in case 567 does get blocked.

You don't say what MTA you are using, I'm sure that people could give
specific help for your MTA.

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
subscription, please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

This email is intended only for the named recipents. All email is monitored and archived for compliance requirements.
The views or context in this message may not reflect the view or context of the company.