Mailing List Archive

what after redirect?
I've ancountered a problem with spf.py. It

domain1 has:
v=spf1 redirect=domain2 ~all

domain2 has:
v=spf1 ip4: ip4:1.1.1.1/24 ~all

sender is good: from 1.1.1.1/24, has domain1
But spf.py reads ~all and tells "softfail"!

My idea of redirect is that any other checks are redirected to another
domain! This means, that in the example above ths should be "pass".

From spfquery I get:

problem=Warning: Mechanisms found after the "all:" mechanism will be ignored;

for the same ip and sender.

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
- Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd@onego.ru -

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
Re: what after redirect? [ In reply to ]
Is 'ip4:' without an ip address actually correct? doesn't this mean the domain2 spf record can not be parsed??

Check the specifications on http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200406.txt, i'm happy to here if you found anything about the 'ip4:' there..

Koen

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 01:06:06PM +0400, Roman Suzi wrote:

> I've ancountered a problem with spf.py. It
>
> domain1 has:
> v=spf1 redirect=domain2 ~all
>
> domain2 has:
> v=spf1 ip4: ip4:1.1.1.1/24 ~all
>
> sender is good: from 1.1.1.1/24, has domain1
> But spf.py reads ~all and tells "softfail"!
>
> My idea of redirect is that any other checks are redirected to another
> domain! This means, that in the example above ths should be "pass".
>
> >From spfquery I get:
>
> problem=Warning: Mechanisms found after the "all:" mechanism will be ignored;
>
> for the same ip and sender.
>

> Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
> --
> - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd@onego.ru -
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: what after redirect? [ In reply to ]

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Koen Martens wrote:

> Is 'ip4:' without an ip address actually correct? doesn't this mean the
> domain2 spf record can not be parsed??

oops! It was a mistake, I deleted specific IP-address but forgot to
delete ip4:.

Re: what after redirect? [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

I checked with my own spfquery, and indeed it does a pass, and gives the
warning about mechanisms after the 'all:' thing. I think that should be
'redirect:' instead of 'all:', which spf library are you using (and
which version?). This might be a minor bug in the library, and if so the
author can be notified.

Wait, I checked the specs..

5.1 of the spf classic spec says (and the marid draft on spf.pobox.com)

If all mechanisms fail to match, and a redirect modifier is present,
then processing proceeds as follows.

redirect = "redirect" "=" domain-spec

The domain-spec portion of the redirect section is expanded as per
the macro rules in section 7. Then check_host() is evaluated with
arguments remain the same as current evaluation of check_host().

So it appears the python implementation got it right, and spfquery got
it wrong.

Koen

Re: what after redirect? [ In reply to ]
The issue has been noted on spf-devel i now see in the libspf2 ticket
system. Unfortunatelly the archive of that list seems to end somewhere
at the end of february 2004, but here is what is in the rt for libspf2: