From: andretesting <andre@testing.com>
To: andre <omeaccount@hotmail.com>
Subject: SMTP test

SMTP test body

.

QUIT
*************************************

Thanks,

Andre

Re: Beginners questions about SPF [ In reply to ]
Andre Kirchner wrote:

> 1. Is there a SPF server where a domain must register its mail
> server and email addresses?

No. There's an FAQ on <http://www.openspf.org> and a dedicated
SPF Help list (just replace "discuss" by "help" in the address).

You put sender policies in DNS records (TXT and/or the new SPF
record type) at your domain provider - where you have all your
other DNS records, MX, A, etc.

> 2. An email server that received a message from aaa@yyy.com,
> and uses sender ID framework (SIDF) to authenticate messages.

While SenderID (PRA) uses the same syntax as SPF for policy
records, the semantics is rather different, SenderID (PRA) is
not directly related to SMTP, it is based on email headers.

> Will it compare the hostname of the email server of domain
> yyy.com (which is mailserver.yyy.com) with the hostname
> name registered in a SPF server?

I fear none of the SPF lists can answer what SenderID (PRA)
checking servers generally do. As far as they follow the
PRA specification they figure out a PRA in the email header
(an address in the From / Sender / Resent header fields as
specified in RFC 4407), take the RHS (domain) of this PRA,
fetch a SenderID PRA policy DNS record (using the strategy
defined in RFC 4408 for SPF), evaluate it (again doing what
SPF would do), and get a result PASS / FAIL / NEUTRAL / ...

> 3. I have a hotmail account, and I know Hotmail uses SIDF
> to authenticate messages.

Better ask them what they do, it might be unrelated to both
SenderID (PRA) or SPF. If you dig in the SPF HELP archive
you find that the operations of hotmail were a big mystery.

> I receive a message from viff@viff.org, but viff.org does
> not have a SPF record

FWIW they also have no SenderID (PRA) policy.

> How did Hotmail authenticated it?

Why do you think they did, did the viff.org mail arrive with
a Received-SPF header field in your hotmail inbox ?

> 4. I used the following commands to send me a message, but
> didn't receive it. Why did I received this message from
> viff@viff.org, but not the following one?

testing.com also has no SPF or FWIW SenderID (PRA) policy.
Did hotmail accept your test mail ? You only showed one
direction of the telnet session, not the hotmail replies.

Frank

Re: Re: Beginners questions about SPF [ In reply to ]
Hi Frank,

3. I thought it was somehow authenticated because I received this message, while message I sent in 4 never arrived. Maybe Hotmail is not authenticating it, but it must somehow validate it.

4. Hotmail seems to have received this message (Please see below), but it never showed up in my inbox. I'm actually not sending this message from testing.com domain, and though that maybe Hotmail could be comparing the sender's ip address with the ip address returned by "nslookup testing.com" to determine it's a spam.

Andre

andre@kirchner:~$ telnet mx4.hotmail.com 25
Trying 65.54.244.232...
Connected to mx4.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 bay0-mc7-f2.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at http://privacy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and other states. Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:16:29 -0800

EHLO testing.com
250-bay0-mc7-f2.bay0.hotmail.com (3.5.0.22) Hello [76.77.66.100]
250-SIZE 29696000
250-PIPELINING
250-8bitmime
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250 OK

MAIL FROM: andre@testing.com
250 andre@testing.com....Sender OK

RCPT TO: kirchnerandre@hotmail.com
250 kirchnerandre@hotmail.com

DATA
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>