Mailing List Archive

Re: domain name definition in RFC2821
John C Klensin wrote (2006-04-22 on the SMTP list):

> Unless others disagree with Ned's (IMO extremely coherent)
> analysis, I'll pull the changes out of 2821bis.

Did you forget this in version 01, or did you change your
mind ? At the moment this issue is AGAIN (don't know how
often so far) discussed on the SPF list, and apparently
2.3.5 in 01 still has the trailing dot plus TLD stuff (?)

See also <http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#TLD>

Frank (x-posted to the SPF list)

-------
Re: domain name definition in RFC2821 [ In reply to ]
John C Klensin wrote:

[the trailing dot TLD saga]
> If the dot is still there, it is a mistake. I thought I
> had pulled it out. Will fix in the working copy today.

Thanks...

> Apologies for the confusion.

...certainly not your fault, as far as SMTP and likely SPF
are concerned the TLDs will survive it if they're excluded.

The alternatives are unfortunately worse. We (= SPF) only
forgot to nail it for the corner case <target-name> in the
spec., elsewhere as in <domain-spec> it's already okay.

Frank

-------