Mailing List Archive

A few SRS questions
Hoping the Mail::SRS has stabilized a bit, I am looking at its
implementation. I tried something like this:

--------------------
use Mail::SRS;

my $secret = 'testword';
my $srs = new Mail::SRS ($secret);

my $srsaddress = $srs -> forward ('admin@asarian-host.net',
'forwarder.com');
--------------------

But I got:

Can't use string ("testword") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at
/usr/local/threadedperl/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SRS.pm line 134.

I thought the secret could be a string too? Obviously, I am missing
something. So, I have a few questions:

1): What sort of secret need I supply?

2): How can an SPF-compliant mailer decode/validate an SRS address, without
knowing the secret?

3): Could someone send me an email with a legitimate SRS envelope-from
address? I like to run a live test on it.

Thanks,

- Mark

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname@Ë`Ì{5¤¨wâÇSÓ°)h
Re: A few SRS questions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Mark wrote:

> Hoping the Mail::SRS has stabilized a bit, I am looking at its
> implementation. I tried something like this:
>
> --------------------
> use Mail::SRS;
Fine.
> my $secret = 'testword';
> my $srs = new Mail::SRS ($secret);
Wrong.
> my $srsaddress = $srs -> forward ('admin@asarian-host.net',
> 'forwarder.com');
Fine.

> But I got:
>
> Can't use string ("testword") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at
> /usr/local/threadedperl/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SRS.pm line 134.

my $srs = new Mail::SRS(Secret => $secret);

> I thought the secret could be a string too? Obviously, I am missing
> something. So, I have a few questions:
>
> 1): What sort of secret need I supply?

A string is fine. But the constructor takes either a hash or a hashref,
not just a secret. See the synopsis in the documentation.

> 2): How can an SPF-compliant mailer decode/validate an SRS address, without
> knowing the secret?

They don't. They don't need to. The SRS address is just for validating
bounce messages as they come back to the forwarder.

> 3): Could someone send me an email with a legitimate SRS envelope-from
> address? I like to run a live test on it.

Run "make teach" in the distribution. You can build your own.

S.

--
Shevek http://www.anarres.org/
I am the Borg. http://www.gothnicity.org/