Mailing List Archive

PLEASE reference the CORRECT library
On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 10:55 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just now joined the list hoping to find out if the build issues in 1.2.5 (as mentioned by
> "richs at whidbey") have been resolved?
>
> I'm trying to build policyd-1.0.1 which fails on not finding spf2/spf.h, in spite of this being
> perfectly well installed.

In several of your emails you refer to my library (libspf) when you are
indeed referring to another library. This is obviously because of the
incredibly poor choice made by the author of the library formerly known
as libspf-alt.

Please be careful to appropriately reference the correct name in future.
If you find your self wondering more about this issue see the list
archives of SPF-DISCUSS and SPF-DEVEL for my extremely vocal objections
to the ambiguous, confusing and generally misleading naming convention
present with 'libspf2' and 'libsrs2'.

Please do not reply to this message as it is not intended to evoke a
response. If a response is warranted please post it offlist as I am not
looking to bring this issue back from the dead other than to point out
that its important to be very clear about which library you reference
especially when referring to bugs as its potentially misleading and
confusing to developers and users alike.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,
Programmer

http://libspf.org - ANSI C Sender Policy Framework library
http://ses.codeshare.ca - Signed Envelope Sender, A comprehensive
and simple solution to stopping SMTP forgery. Please review our
work and find any flaws in our protocol.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: PLEASE reference the CORRECT library [ In reply to ]
James Couzens wrote:

> In several of your emails

Hi James,

I believe I wrote two, not several.
And in my 2nd email I do also mention libspf2-1.0.4.

> Please be careful to appropriately reference the correct name in future.

Apologies - in the context of this mailing list I did not appreciate the importance
of the "2".

> Please do not reply to this message as it is not intended to evoke a response.

If it wasn't, surely it would have been better to email me in private.
WRT the naming conflict, I have no wish to re-ignite anything.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/freetrial - managed anti-spam and anti-virus solution.
Sign up for your free 30-day trial now!

-------
Re: PLEASE reference the CORRECT library [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:28 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

> I believe I wrote two, not several.

Right you are.

> And in my 2nd email I do also mention libspf2-1.0.4.

Yes, this adds to the confusion since you both reference the SPF library
you are talking about as libspf and libspf2.

> If it wasn't, surely it would have been better to email me in private.
> WRT the naming conflict, I have no wish to re-ignite anything.

Thank you for your consideration of this request. I sent it to the list
so that others who do the same thing might benefit from my raising of
this issue.

Cheers,

James

--