Mailing List Archive

Thunderbird SPF Extension
Hi. I'm new to the list but I've long been interested in SPF. It's
frustrating to see the adoption of a really good idea be slowed by
corporate/legal hurdles (Sender ID and all that). I thought it might be
useful/interesting to have an SPF checker within the mail client. Maybe
this will help push the adoption of SPF.

So yesterday morning I set out to make my first Mozilla Thunderbird
extension. (It was an interesting experience that I hope not to do from
scratch again.) It works, and it's pretty neat. If anyone else wants
to try it:

http://taubz.for.net/code/spf/

Your mileage will probably vary. Any suggestions, comments, bug
reports, and criticisms are welcome.

--
- Joshua Tauberer

http://taubz.for.net

** Nothing Unreal Exists **

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Thunderbird SPF Extension [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Nice work! But how is the result on the top obtained? If it's based on
the message content, and performed whenever the message is displayed,
you might want to keep in mind that the spf record for the given domain
might have changed in the mean time. This is especially so if you
archive mail, so this might possibly be confusing to users.

Koen

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 10:24:01AM -0400, Joshua Tauberer wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to the list but I've long been interested in SPF. It's
> frustrating to see the adoption of a really good idea be slowed by
> corporate/legal hurdles (Sender ID and all that). I thought it might be
> useful/interesting to have an SPF checker within the mail client. Maybe
> this will help push the adoption of SPF.
>
> So yesterday morning I set out to make my first Mozilla Thunderbird
> extension. (It was an interesting experience that I hope not to do from
> scratch again.) It works, and it's pretty neat. If anyone else wants
> to try it:
>
> http://taubz.for.net/code/spf/
>
> Your mileage will probably vary. Any suggestions, comments, bug
> reports, and criticisms are welcome.
>
> --
> - Joshua Tauberer
>
> http://taubz.for.net
>
> ** Nothing Unreal Exists **
>

> -------
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
> subscription, please go to
> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: Thunderbird SPF Extension [ In reply to ]
Koen Martens wrote:
> you might want to keep in mind that the spf record for the given domain
> might have changed in the mean time.

Great point. Thanks, I've put a check on that based on the Date:
header. (Not a perfect solution, but at least it only errs on the side
of caution.)

David Nicol wrote:
> an SPF checker within the client, or anywhere downstream of receipt of
> messages, needs to piece together the return-path and the peer
network address
> from the information that is there.

That's exactly what the extension does.

Thanks for your feedback, guys.