Mailing List Archive

rejecting by default
On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 07:34:01PM -0400, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:

| One of my customer, told me, "When SPF will be really
| deployed, we'll configure our sendmail not receive
| any E-mail but the one with a good SPF"...

I agree, one day we will get to this future. I have been
making the argument for moving to a default-reject mailbox
at

http://spf.pobox.com/slides/default-reject/
http://spf.pobox.com/aspen/email-future-2.png
http://spf.pobox.com/aspen/agupimail.png
http://spf.pobox.com/aspen/reversals.png

| "?all", (inserted by sysadmin laziness?), means we can't
| use the SPF tools to its full potential (IE: Yes, there is an SPF
| record, but please if remote IP is not in the list, lets
| forgot about SPF). IMHO it is too bad...
| (Is the E-mail coming from that domain Yes or Not, I still
| don't know?)

If you look carefully at the spec, a ?all result means the
receiver should do whatever they would do if the domain did
not have an SPF record. If your policy is to only accept
mail that passes SPF, then you can reject by default :)

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com