Mailing List Archive

deployment discussions to begin soon
Hi folks,

Now that the dust is beginning to settle, I think we can
start to discuss deployment considerations. I was in Tokyo
earlier this month talking to many of the major ISPs and
carriers in the country including Vodafone and NTT DoCoMo
about spam, SPF, and all that. I have been talking to many
ISPs in North America and will be talking to European ISPs
later this month.

As part of my presentation I discuss record-publication
statistics. I estimated about 750,000 domains publishing.
They include major domains such as AOL, Earthlink, Google,
eBay, and others. Now the next step is testing: we'll find
out how effective SPF Classic and Sender ID will be against
spam, phishing, fraud, and so on. The results of testing
should convince the early majority to make the necessary
commitments. I am working with MAAWG.org and Earthlink on
testing, and hope to share results in November.

Just as an anecdotal data point, the day after eBay
published their SPF record, a phish was caught by my SPF
checker. So it's working!

Further to the authentication effort I am continuing to work
in the area of reputation and accreditation. The overall
vision is outlined at the following slides:

http://spf.pobox.com/aspen/email-future-2.png
http://spf.pobox.com/aspen/reversals.png
http://spf.pobox.com/aspen/agupimail.png

We can probably expect announcements from Microsoft and
other industry leaders soon. I believe Hotmail may display
Sender ID status soon. Gmail already puts a Received-SPF
line in the headers.

Stay tuned for more information!

cheers
meng

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com
Re: for hosted domains [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 06:11:04PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| Now that the dust is beginning to settle, I think we can
| start to discuss deployment considerations.

One of pobox.com's less well known product lines is our
virtual domain hosting service, under the brand fauxbox.com.

We haven't got quite as many domains under management as the
really big players, but we have more than enough to know
what they are facing.

We've been seeing increasing numbers of complaints from
domain owners about forgery of their domains and bounces for
messages they didn't send.

So today we put an extra line into our record generation
tool which redirects the TXT record for a hosted domain:

20041011-19:04:13 mengwong@dumbo:~% dnstxt skarka.com
v=spf1 redirect=%{d}._spf.pobox.com

The _spf.pobox.com subdomain is served by MyDNS:

20041011-19:05:36 mengwong@dumbo:~% dnstxt skarka.com._spf.pobox.com
v=spf1 include:verizon.net -all

We've put up a web interface so end-user domain owners can
go configure their SPF texts out of there.

We plan to take a proactive stance and reach out to the
other domain owners in an education and communication effort
before the rest of them start to complain. I'll keep you
posted as to how that's going. Anyone who has had
experiences in this area would be welcome to share them.

We're doing the same thing for pobox users too. That
redirect includes the localpart so we can do different
records for different users.

20041011-19:22:43 mengwong@dumbo:~% dnstxt pobox.com
v=spf1 mx mx:fallback-relay.%{d} a:webmail.%{d} a:smtp.%{d} a:emerald.%{d} redirect=%{l1r+}._at_.%{o}._spf.%{d}

cheers
meng

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com
RE: for hosted domains [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

In this we need to pull DNS hosting sites to facilitate to add txt records
using management panel. I have problem with register.com as well as other
domain hosting sites to publish SPF records.

Thanks,
Nalini Chand Jasti

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 06:11:04PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| Now that the dust is beginning to settle, I think we can
| start to discuss deployment considerations.

One of pobox.com's less well known product lines is our
virtual domain hosting service, under the brand fauxbox.com.

We haven't got quite as many domains under management as the
really big players, but we have more than enough to know
what they are facing.

We've been seeing increasing numbers of complaints from
domain owners about forgery of their domains and bounces for
messages they didn't send.

So today we put an extra line into our record generation
tool which redirects the TXT record for a hosted domain:

20041011-19:04:13 mengwong@dumbo:~% dnstxt skarka.com
v=spf1 redirect=%{d}._spf.pobox.com

The _spf.pobox.com subdomain is served by MyDNS:

20041011-19:05:36 mengwong@dumbo:~% dnstxt skarka.com._spf.pobox.com
v=spf1 include:verizon.net -all

We've put up a web interface so end-user domain owners can
go configure their SPF texts out of there.

We plan to take a proactive stance and reach out to the
other domain owners in an education and communication effort
before the rest of them start to complain. I'll keep you
posted as to how that's going. Anyone who has had
experiences in this area would be welcome to share them.

We're doing the same thing for pobox users too. That
redirect includes the localpart so we can do different
records for different users.

20041011-19:22:43 mengwong@dumbo:~% dnstxt pobox.com
v=spf1 mx mx:fallback-relay.%{d} a:webmail.%{d} a:smtp.%{d} a:emerald.%{d}
redirect=%{l1r+}._at_.%{o}._spf.%{d}

cheers
meng

-------