Mailing List Archive

Logo spams
Hello,

I get tons of these "We will create your Logo" spams. They all get through
with a very low, if not zero, rating. The from addresses are always
different. The Subject and Body are mixed up and spaced out, but they all
follow the same trend, a sales pitch to design a company logo. Below is an
example of the body of one of these emails.

Does anyone have a rule that can stop this crap business from sending these.
I can't be the only one gettings these.

Thanks IA

--snip--

Low cost logo templates

Do you need a guality yet inexpensive logo? Ready-Made Logos offer high
quality logo tempIates for onIy $49.95. You can choose from plenty of qreat
desiqns, and have your logo ready for use the same moment .Your new Iogo can
be immediately downIoaded in editable source files that are suitable for
your business cards ,website and print ads. The only thing you will need to
do is type in your company name. If you experience difficulties using these
programs or need to slightly modify the design, we will be happy to
personalize your new logo.

Ready-Made Logos is the smart choice for SOHO companies, non-profit
websites, corporate events, and business plans. It is also an unique
opportunity to get some extra cash for business formation consultants,
marketing agencies, web hosters & designers, domain registrars, commercial
printers, and anyone with a business-related website, which may need
professional yet affordable logos for their customers.

Get your business logo right now!

Lahoma Acevedo

RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
MIKE YRABEDRA Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 5:42 AM

> I get tons of these "We will create your Logo" spams. They all get through
> with a very low, if not zero, rating.

I was getting a ton of these too. Havn't seen any for a few days. I had been
making rules for the domains referenced in the emails... sort of a local
addition to BigEvil. Two that I know I found where snapshut.info and
conta.info.

Anyone else come up with better rules for blocking these? They seem to
change URLs a lot.

cheers,
Colin

Colin A. Bartlett
Kinetic Web Solutions
www.kineticweb.biz
RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
We're still seeing a lot of these even with BigEvil, RBLs etc.

Has anybody found a "cure" before our CTO deep sixes the rest of Asia?

Mr. Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
http://www.blacknightsolutions.ie/
http://www.search.ie/
Tel. + 353 (0)59 9137101
Lowest price domains in Ireland

RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
I'm starting to think that only spammers uses the following sorts of
headers:

I haven't got a corpus to throw a test for the "X-AntiAbuse" header at?
Anyone like to check it?

Otherwise a simle header rule to get the subject will kill it.

Phil

Phil Randal
Network Engineer
Herefordshire Council
Hereford, UK

Re: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
Randal, Phil <prandal@herefordshire.gov.uk> wrote:
> I'm starting to think that only spammers uses the following
> sorts of headers:

Won't (and if not, why?) bayes pick these up?

- Bob
RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
We got a score of 5.92:

5.40 BAYES_99 Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
0.29 DNS_FROM_RFCI_DSN From: sender listed in dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
0.10 HTML_MESSAGE HTML included in message
0.05 LG_4C_2V_3C Gibberish found?
0.00 RM_rb_ANCHOR Testing for HTML end of anchor in emails
0.00 RM_rb_BODY Testing for HTML BODY in emails
0.00 RM_rb_BREAK Testing for HTML Break in emails
0.00 RM_rb_HTML Testing for HTML tag in emails
0.08 TW_OQ Odd Letter Triples with OQ

Loads of ham use the X-AntiAbuse headers, but there might be one subset
which is spam-only.

Phil

Phil Randal
Network Engineer
Herefordshire Council
Hereford, UK

RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]

> Randal, Phil <prandal@herefordshire.gov.uk> wrote:
> > I'm starting to think that only spammers uses the following
> sorts of
> > headers:

> Won't (and if not, why?) bayes pick these up?
>
> - Bob

I have the same problem with these logo spams constantly
getting through as well. I've fed about 300 of them into
Bayes and yet they still continue to get through.
Re: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
> I have the same problem with these logo spams constantly
> getting through as well. I've fed about 300 of them into
> Bayes and yet they still continue to get through.

Then its time to write a custom anti-logo rule. I've never seen one myself
(perhaps they are regional or some such), but someone posted one a while
back. That one contained the word 'logo' at least 9 times, which would have
been just a little unusual in a normal mail. Especially since it had a site
name that included /logo/ in the name. It should be pretty trivial to write
a rule to catch something like that.

Loren
RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]

> > I have the same problem with these logo spams constantly getting
> > through as well. I've fed about 300 of them into Bayes and
> yet they
> > still continue to get through.
>
> Then its time to write a custom anti-logo rule. I've never
> seen one myself (perhaps they are regional or some such), but
> someone posted one a while back. That one contained the word
> 'logo' at least 9 times, which would have been just a little
> unusual in a normal mail. Especially since it had a site
> name that included /logo/ in the name. It should be pretty
> trivial to write a rule to catch something like that.
>
> Loren

For anyone that is interested, here are two samples:

http://download.synthys.com/cheap1.htm
http://download.synthys.com/cheap2.htm

Scott
RE: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 14:44, Scott Harris wrote:

> > > I have the same problem with these logo spams constantly getting
> > > through as well. I've fed about 300 of them into Bayes and
> > yet they
> > > still continue to get through.
> >
> > Then its time to write a custom anti-logo rule. I've never
> > seen one myself (perhaps they are regional or some such), but
> > someone posted one a while back. That one contained the word
> > 'logo' at least 9 times, which would have been just a little
> > unusual in a normal mail. Especially since it had a site
> > name that included /logo/ in the name. It should be pretty
> > trivial to write a rule to catch something like that.
> >
> > Loren
> For anyone that is interested, here are two samples:
>
> http://download.synthys.com/cheap1.htm
> http://download.synthys.com/cheap2.htm

Based on these two samples, I wrote:

body STEWART_LOGO_1 /cheap (ready|pre)-made logos/i
describe STEWART_LOGO_1 Logo advert from Stewart
score STEWART_LOGO_1 0.5

body STEWART_LOGO_2 /our (logo store|gallery) is the smart
choice/i
describe STEWART_LOGO_2 Logo advert from Stewart
score STEWART_LOGO_2 0.5

meta STEWART_LOGO (STEWART_LOGO_1 && STEWART_LOGO_2)
describe STEWART_LOGO Logo advert from Stewart
score STEWART_LOGO 5.0

It's very specific, so it won't continue to work if he changes the
wording, but at the same time it will temporarily stop the logo spam and
shouldn't hit any FP's.

- Jon

--
jon@tgpsolutions.com

Administrator, tgpsolutions
http://www.tgpsolutions.com
Re: Logo spams [ In reply to ]
Taking a quick look at the first one (and I wish you would post as text
rather than html next time!) I see some interesting things that will
probably hold for some time:

1. www.snapshut.info should be added to the BigEvil list

2. The word "logo" or "Logo" appears 8 times in the body of the message.
Suspicious.

3. The word "Iogo" (capital I, not L) appears twice, intended to be
obfuscation.

4. The word "Ioqo" (capital I, q instead of g) appears once as
obfuscation.

5. The word 'quality' is spelled "guaIity", again intended as
obfuscation.

Taken together, these can make some fairly nice rules specific to this spam.

body __LOGOS /(?:\blogo[s]?\b){6,99}/i
body __BAD_LOGOS /\bIo[gq]o[s]?\b/
body __POOR_QUALITY /gua[lI]ity/

meta NASTY_LOGOS (__LOGOS && (__BAD_LOGOS || __POOR_QUALITY))
score NASTY_LOGOS 5.0

uri SNAPSHUT /www\.snapshut\.info/
score SNAPSHUT 2.0

Loren