Subject: AW: ++SPAM++ Hast Du am 15. Mai Zeit?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:42 +0100

--
Viele Grüße, Kind regards,
Jim Knuth
jk@jkart.de
----------
Zufalls-Zitat
----------
Im Alter hat nur das Bestand, was vor dem Kind, das man war, bestanden hätte.
----------
Dieser Text hat nichts mit dem Empfänger der Mail zu tun
----------

virengeprüft mit NOD32 Version 1.667 Update 15.03.2004
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Jim Knuth said:
> Hallo und guten Tag spamassassin-users,
>
> why is this marked as spam?

Hello Jim,

In fact this email is NOT marked as spam:

tests=BAYES_00, HTML_50_60, HTML_MESSAGE, MAILTO_LINK

Perhaps you have somehow run this message through SA two times, the first
time it marked it spam (and wrapped the email, changing the subject) and
the second time it did not mark it as spam (because of different headers)?

> --snip
> Subject: AW: ++SPAM++ Hast Du am 15. Mai Zeit?

> HTML_50_60, HTML_MESSAGE, MAILTO_LINK

--
Chris Thielen

Easily generate SpamAssassin rules to catch obfuscated spam
phrases(0BFU$C/\TED SPA/\/\ P|-|RA$ES): http://www.sandgnat.com/cmos/
Keep up to date with the latest third party SpamAssassin Rulesets:
http://www.exit0.us/index.php/RulesDuJour
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Chris Thielen wrote:

> [...]
> In fact this email is NOT marked as spam:

> tests=BAYES_00, HTML_50_60, HTML_MESSAGE, MAILTO_LINK
>
> Perhaps you have somehow run this message through SA two times, the first
> time it marked it spam (and wrapped the email, changing the subject) and
> the second time it did not mark it as spam (because of different headers)?
>

>>--snip
>>Subject: AW: ++SPAM++ Hast Du am 15. Mai Zeit?

If SA had add marked this subject, the ++SPAM++ would've appeared BEFORE
the AW:, right?

>> HTML_50_60, HTML_MESSAGE, MAILTO_LINK

- Bob
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Bob George said:
> Chris Thielen wrote:

>>>Subject: AW: ++SPAM++ Hast Du am 15. Mai Zeit?
>
> If SA had add marked this subject, the ++SPAM++ would've appeared BEFORE
> the AW:, right?

>>> HTML_50_60, HTML_MESSAGE, MAILTO_LINK

Yep, I believe so... unless there are some other programs in the chain
manipulating the email as well. Hard to say without knowing the server's
configuration.

Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
At 12:47 PM 3/15/2004, Jim Knuth wrote:
>Hallo und guten Tag spamassassin-users,
>
>why is this marked as spam?

At casual glance, it looks like a double-scan problem, but you didn't
include enough of the email to see what really happened.

If you run spam through SA twice, and use encapsulation the following can
happen:

The first pass scores high enough to tag, the message gets taged and
encapsulated. An X-Spam-Status headers is added, declaring the message spam.

The second time through SA, the headers are now different, and the message
scores lower. The X-Spam-Status gets over-written with the new one, this
one declaring the message not-spam, although the message is already marked
and encapsulated by the first scan.

Compare the list of tests matched in the body report compared to the
X-Spam-Status.. if they differ, it's almost certainly a double-scanned message.
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Hallo und guten Abend Chris,

danke für die Email vom 15.03.2004 um 19:20
Chris Thielen schrieb - wrote:

> Yep, I believe so... unless there are some other programs in the chain
> manipulating the email as well. Hard to say without knowing the server's
> configuration.

the mails going through postfix => amavisd-new, not spamc - spamd.

--
Viele Grüße, Kind regards,
Jim Knuth

Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
From: "Jim Knuth" <jk@jkart.de>

> Hallo und guten Tag spamassassin-users,
>
> why is this marked as spam?

It's not tagged as spam. The spam level is zero asterisks. Bayes declared
it was very likely not spam. A couple possibly spammish rules were
triggered. But it dodn't come up to any sort of a spam level.

Now, was it tagged at YOUR site or some other site? I note the order of
subject suggests it was tagged as spam THEN the "AW:" was added. (Or
else you have an overactive procmail script or eqivalent that sees
"X-Spam-Level:" tagged onto a message and tosses "++SPAM++" into the
subject. I'm used to seeing spam tagged in a slightly different format
without the "AW:" in front of the spam tag.)

{^_^}

Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Jim Knuth wrote:
> [...]
> the mails going through postfix => amavisd-new, not spamc - spamd.

Jim, is it possible that's a RESPONSE to a message that was flagged as
spam? I notice the AW: (Re:) BEFORE the ++SPAM++ tag, and the message
headers contain:

<001b01c40a9a$4de19fd0$fe78a8c0 <at> sndg80000156>

Perhaps THAT message is the spam, and this was a reply (auto-generated_
to that? You're going to have to send us the full message headers to
figure out much more.

- Bob
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Jim Knuth said:

>> Yep, I believe so... unless there are some other programs in the chain
>> manipulating the email as well. Hard to say without knowing the
>> server's
>> configuration.
>
> the mails going through postfix => amavisd-new, not spamc - spamd.

Jim,

As others have suggested, this may be occurring somewhere outside your own
server. Can you open the encapsulated message inside the email message
you posted and check that message's headers?

Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Hallo und guten Abend jdow,

danke für die Email vom 15.03.2004 um 20:44
jdow schrieb - wrote:

> Now, was it tagged at YOUR site or some other site? I note the order of
> subject suggests it was tagged as spam THEN the "AW:" was added. (Or
> else you have an overactive procmail script or eqivalent that sees
> "X-Spam-Level:" tagged onto a message and tosses "++SPAM++" into the
> subject. I'm used to seeing spam tagged in a slightly different format
> without the "AW:" in front of the spam tag.)

thanx, but I`ll wait if this comes again. .. and than. ;-)

--
Viele Grüße, Kind regards,
Jim Knuth
Dieser Text hat nichts mit dem Empfänger der Mail zu tun
----------

virengeprüft mit NOD32 Version 1.668 Update 15.03.2004
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:04:11 -0600 (CST), Chris Thielen wrote:

>As others have suggested, this may be occurring somewhere outside your own
>server. Can you open the encapsulated message inside the email message
>you posted and check that message's headers?

This thread highlights the danger of setting up your MTA or MUA filters
to trigger on a spam flag in the Subject line instead of the
X-Spam-Status or X-Spam-Level headers. The Subject may have been
modified by someone else's spam engine before it arrived at your door
(or even by your own SA on a previous iteration, if this is a reply to
a reply), while the X-Spam-* headers are inserted locally and reflect
only what your own SA installation decided this time around.
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Jim Knuth wrote:
> why is this marked as spam?
>
> --snip
> Subject: AW: ++SPAM++ Hast Du am 15. Mai Zeit?
[snip]
Nobody else seems to have noticed this- it looks like whatever you're
using to call SA has been set up to tag everything.

-4.7 > -9999

-kgd
--
"Sendmail administration is not black magic. There are legitimate
technical reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken."
Re: Spam labeled [ In reply to ]
Kris Deugau wrote:
> [...]
> Nobody else seems to have noticed this- it looks like whatever you're
> using to call SA has been set up to tag everything.
>
> -4.7 > -9999

As non-spam though.

- Bob