Mailing List Archive

State of the sa-blacklist
Good day, all,
Just a quick update on the blacklist at
http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/ .

- The master list is up to 8441 domains. I share my sincere
thanks with everyone that's contributed both new domains and reports where
I've mistakenly added a legitimate domain.

- I'm now stripping out dead domains - ones that no longer have a
whois record associated. This means that .domains and .uri.cf files don't
have 1349 dead domains, making your sites work less on each message.

- Derek Winkler was kind enough to provide a converter that puts
up to 50 domains in a single uri rule. sa-blacklist.current.uri.cf is
down to what I hope is a manageable 185 rules. Derek reports that before
this change, the uri.cf ruleset was adding 44 megabytes to spamassassin;
with his version, the same list of rules only adds 2 MB. Here's hoping
this makes the uri.cf list - which I consider to be the more useful one
anyways - usable even on larger SA installs. Please let me know if the
change helps or hurts in any way. If you really like the old version,
it's still there with the extension .oneperrule.uri.cf .

- I'd be glad to provide the blacklist in different forms if
useful.

Cheers,
- Bill

"Bastard Operators from Hell" anagrams to "Shatterproof Armored Balls"
(Courtesy of Jens Benecke <jens@pinguin.conetix.de>)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com). Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at: http://www.stearns.org