Mailing List Archive

Why can't I get my subject rule to work?
I'm really getting frustrated here. I'm an IT Manager, so I know what it's
like to have a user not know what they're doing, but I'm pretty sure I do!

NoSpamToday <-> Exchange 5.5 on WinNT4

I create the following rule and placed it in my own file, called
00_Julian.cf in the sa\ruleset folder of the email server:

header Meta3 Subject =~ /single/
score Meta3 0.1

I then created an email in my hotmail account and the subject line was set
to:

Fw: single, double extentions + meta subject | @ |

The damned rule never got a mention in the incoming email's headers
("X-Spam-Status"). Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong?

Do I have to restart NST for it to recognise the new rule? <G> Sorry for
wasting bandwidth!

Regards,

Julian Milano
IT Manager

Davenport Group
79-81 Coppin Street (PO Box 12) Richmond Victoria 3121
Ph : (613) 8416 6666

Limits of Liability and Disclaimer - Davenport Industries is not liable for
any loss, damages, claims, cost demand and expense whatsoever and howsoever
arising in connection with this email transmission. The receiver of this
transmission shall ascertain the accuracy and suitability of this data for
their purposes. Although computer virus scanning software is used by
Davenport Industries, the receiver shall be responsible for their own virus
protection and Davenport Industries shall not be held liable for and
subsequent loss, damage, cost or expense.

This email and any attachment is confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this email in error you are prohibited from disclosing, copying or
using the information contained in it and please inform us by reply email
and delete.
Re: Why can't I get my subject rule to work? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 12 March 2004 07:07 am, JulianM@davenport-industries.com.au wrote:

> I create the following rule and placed it in my own file, called
> 00_Julian.cf in the sa\ruleset folder of the email server:
>
> header Meta3 Subject =~ /single/
> score Meta3 0.1

Are you using spamd? If so, you'll have to set "allow_user_rules 1" in your
local.cf file.

--
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Advanced SPAM filtering software: http://spamassassin.org
Re: Why can't I get my subject rule to work? [ In reply to ]
Hi Julian. Although I am not familar with this product, my guess would
be that you would need to restart the service.

RE: Why can't I get my subject rule to work? [ In reply to ]
You might have seen my other posts, specifically the one where I
asked...."If a custom rule was not written correctly, would it affect the
rest of the rules in that file, whether they were written correctly or
not?". Well the general concensus was that if SA doesn't like a custom rule
in a (cf) file, it will ignore the rest of the rules in that file.

And this was the case here- thanks for your help anyway!