Mailing List Archive

SA scoring config
It appears that many (or most) people use SA with Bayes, although it looks like
a few are not. We are currently opting not to use Bayes.

For those who are not using Bayes:

1. Why not?
2. What are you doing above and beyond default SA config?

We are:

1. Adding most all the custom rulesets: backhair, tripwire, antidrug, plus some
others seen here.

2. Tweaking the scores for the default SA rules (I know about the "genetic
algorithm, but some make no sense at all - rules that score 4.3 that hit twice
as much ham as spam and others that score .1 that hit almost only spam.)

3. Adding a few custom rules.

4. Parsing mail log to MYSQL database to analyze SA rules and scores for SPAM
and ham for future rule adjusting.

5. Threshold = 10.0

The biggest problem we've had for FPs has been being too aggressive on the
blocklist scores (SORBS, NJABL, DYNABLOCK). We've gotten so many FP's with
those rules that we've actually added some meta rules to lower the score for
email that hit those rules in combination.

We just started SA sitewide - about 350 users - and we are getting very few
FP's. 1 a day or less being reported to us. We are getting false negatives
reported - probably about 10 a day.

Anybody doing something similar?

Al