Mailing List Archive

Help! How do I exclude an address/domain from RBL lookups?
Hello,

Please pardon me if I get the formatting of this incorrect, as I am new to
the list.

I have inherited a SpamAssassin server at the company that I am at, and am
having trouble finding a clear answer to the following problem:

The ISP, ez2.net, is listed on rfc-ignorant.org. I have contacted them and
the are resolving it, however (and I've run into this before) for the time
being I would like to allow ez2.net to bypass the lookup against
rfc-ignorant.org.

I am a little confused as to where that lookup happens in the MTA process.
Is it Postfix or Amavisd that does that? From all I can gather, it's
Postfix.

In my main.cf, i've remarked out rfc-ignorant.org and in my /postfix/access
file, i've added "ez2.net OK". Did both 'postfix reload' and "postfix
stop/start' however still it fails.

Am I on the right track.. way off..?

I'm totally confused! Help???

Thank you so much in advance,

Ryan Blakeslee
Re: Help! How do I exclude an address/domain from RBL lookups? [ In reply to ]
At 05:34 PM 3/10/2004, Ryan Blakeslee wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Please pardon me if I get the formatting of this incorrect, as I am new to
>the list.
>
>I have inherited a SpamAssassin server at the company that I am at, and am
>having trouble finding a clear answer to the following problem:
>
>The ISP, ez2.net, is listed on rfc-ignorant.org. I have contacted them and
>the are resolving it, however (and I've run into this before) for the time
>being I would like to allow ez2.net to bypass the lookup against
>rfc-ignorant.org.
>
>I am a little confused as to where that lookup happens in the MTA process.
>Is it Postfix or Amavisd that does that? From all I can gather, it's
>Postfix.
>
>In my main.cf, i've remarked out rfc-ignorant.org and in my /postfix/access
>file, i've added "ez2.net OK". Did both 'postfix reload' and "postfix
>stop/start' however still it fails.
>
>Am I on the right track.. way off..?
>
>I'm totally confused! Help???

Agreed, you are confused.

LOTS of programs use DNSBLs.. pretty much any program in your mailchain can
use DNSBLs.. in many cases, multiple programs are doing it.

SpamAssassin does use that DNSBL.. However, I doubt SA's use of it is
causing your problems.. it scores it pretty low.

As far as spamassassin goes, you can disable spamassassin's use of
rfc-ignorant by adding the following to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf:

score RCVD_IN_RFCI 0
score DNS_FROM_RFCI_DSN 0

You will have to restart spamd if you are using spamd/spamc.

If it's amavis, or postfix.. well, I can't help you there, I use neither of
them.