Mailing List Archive

OT: Quick BIND question..
"query (cache) denied"

Is there a channel that I can use to drop the "query (cache) denied"
messages into { null; }? They're annoying and filling up the logfiles. :(

Thanks!
-Jonathan
Re: OT: Quick BIND question.. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Jonathan Nichols wrote:

> "query (cache) denied"
>
> Is there a channel that I can use to drop the "query (cache) denied"
> messages into { null; }? They're annoying and filling up the logfiles. :(

That's the "query" module logging to the "security" catagory.
Unfortunatly AFAIK you can only route channels based upon the category
and level, not by module, so I don't know how to 'null' those messages
with out 'null'ing all security messages. ;(
(Unless you want to hack the source code. ;)

What I do is to route all "security" catagory to a specific channel
that writes to a file that I set to roll-over (IE set the versions &
max-size). That way I can keep the last N-megabytes of messages if
I need to refer to them but not worry about them filling up the disk. ;)
I was annoyed by all the Winblows boxes trying to update my DNS zones.

The only trick to this is that you also have to set up an explicit
"default" catagory and route it to a file. The implicit "default"
channel routes to syslog and if left that way all "security" goes
there too, even with an explicit "security" catagory channel.

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering