Mailing List Archive

Attemping to leave Windows
Ok, after several weeks of investigating and toying with the idea of
making a SPAMD/SPAMC-like version for windows, and finding a cheap
windows SMTP proxy for my Exchange server (or making an SMTP event
sink), I've decided that it might be easier, or at least less painful,
to set up a linux box and use it as a proxy. The added benefit will be
that I can use ClamAV as well to check for viruses.

I am an extremely novice "unix" user. Actually, my experience was about
12 years ago using SCO Xenix. You can tell it's been long because I
can't remember how to spell it. Anyway, I was wondering for everyone's
opinion on what would be the path of least resistance.

First, I have to decide on an OS (i.e., Red Hat, Mandrake, FreeBSD,
etc). Now remember, I just want to use this box as an SMTP proxy for my
Exchange 2000 server, so I don't need anything fancy. I also want to
limit the amount of stuff I need to do to set this up.

Second, I have to figure out what's the easiest SMTP server software to
set up that I can hook into spam assassin and clamav and the forward all
the message to my Exchange Server. I don't need a POP interface if that
helps.

Any information on this would be appreciated. If you know of any
instructions of any kind relating to this stuff on the web, please
include the links.

Thanks,
Mark DeMichele
RE: Attemping to leave Windows [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I would recommend using a setup similar to what we're using. First of all,
we use RedHat Linux 7.3, which has served well for us. We use this in
combination with Postfix's transport.map file. Essentially, the MX record
would point to this linux machine, which would also be running spamassassin,
clamav, etc. The mail is scanned, and quarantined/deleted as desired.
Then, the mail that passes goes to the transport.map file, and finds the IP
address of your Windows Exchange server, and Postfix will forward the
message to the server to be accepted.

Richard

_____

RE: Attemping to leave Windows [ In reply to ]
http://www.flakshack.com/anti-spam/
http://www.geocities.com/scottlhenderson/spamfilter.html
http://www.advosys.ca/papers/postfix-filtering.html
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/

I use FreeBSD, Postfix, Pyzor, DCC, and Razor2. For stats I use the
spamstats script from http://www.gryzor.com/tools/ and pflogsumm from
http://www.gryzor.com/tools/